MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Hemiplegic Migraine    Dizziness/Loss of Balance in the Dark??

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dizziness/Loss of Balance in the Dark??
 Login/Join 
Apprentice
Picture of Jaclyn
posted
Hi All,

Just wondering if any of you experience dizziness (vertigo) in the dark. Apparently, I haven't tried walking in the dark since I experienced my first hemiplegic migraine attack a year ago, until just recently, and when I did, it did not go well. I was walking outside in almost complete darkness and got very dizzy and fell.

I have since realized that if I try walking even in the house at night with all the lights out or with my sunglasses on in a dimly lit room or with my eyes closed, I get dizzy and fall. I'm just wondering if this is part of hemiplegic migraines or if it could be left over from the major HM attack I had last year.

Anyone else experience this? I had severe vertigo with that first HM attack and for months afterward, but I thought the vertigo was gone until I tried walking in the dark recently.

--Jaclyn

Posts: 109 | Location: WI, USA | Registered: 07-05-2009Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
I'm not as sure-footed in the dark, but I think it's mostly just a matter of the dark dulling perspective and that kind of thing, leading to being more cautious. I can't say as I've ever gotten dizzy just because it's dark. My vote is ask your doctor.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Novice
posted Hide Post
Hi Jaclyn!! I don´t get dizzy in the dark.

Hope you will bee migraine free this week Hugs: Mimmi

Posts: 80 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 07-16-2009Report This Post
Apprentice
Picture of Jaclyn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dragon and Mimmi,

I did end up calling my doctor, and I am going to see her PA tomorrow. Apparently, this is something that needs to be checked out in person, so off I go to the headache clinic ... again ...

I am very, VERY, VERY thankful to have such a terrific, intelligent, and thorough doctor, but sometimes, I just wish there was a simple answer and a simple solution to all this stuff.

I'm tired.

--Jaclyn

Novice
posted Hide Post
Hi Jaclyn!!
Fine that you have such a good doctor ( me too )
and yeah who wouln´t want simpler answers to whats going on
in our brains and so on. Confused
But as i said at least you have a good doc, that something
not everyone has here. I hope that you soon will get some answers!!!

Good Luck Group Hug from Mimmi

Apprentice
Picture of Jaclyn
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mimmi. You're right. I am very lucky to have such a good doctor, and I know that all too well, especially after some of the not so good doctors I had before her. I also know not everyone is fortunate enough to find or have access to such a good doctor, so I truly am counting my blessings.

I just wish my head would stop hurting and my life would just go back to how it was before all this started, but I guess that isn't going to happen. Anyway, I'm now going to be having a whole bunch of tests again to make sure there isn't anything wrong with my cerebellum. I didn't know this before today, but apparently, cerebellar dysfunction can be connected to hemiplegic migraines, and this can cause balance problems.

--Jaclyn

Maven
Picture of tonya
posted Hide Post
Hi Jaclyn,

Sorry I'm late to post. Between moving, overdoing it, and then "recovery" (too many attacks), I've lost track of time.

Although I don't specifically have dizziness just in the dark, I do have balance issues. Before my previous neurologist (not Dr. Purath) upped my Depakote, balance was a huge problem; but I think it was due to my left side weakness being so bad. Now balance is an issue only as a result of my left side...or at least that's what I think anyway.

I'm glad she's running more tests for you. Let us know what happens.

Hope you're having a pain-free day. (Isn't it a beautiful day outside today! Oh, I love fall in Wisconsin.)

Tonya

Wishing you a HM-free day,
Tonya

Living With HM:
http://LivingWithHM.com
Migraine Step By Step http://MigraineStepByStep.com

Posts: 504 | Location: Two Rivers, WI | Registered: 10-03-2008Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Fingers Crossed Just adding more wishes that your wonderful PA is able to help you sort this out.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Apprentice
Picture of Jaclyn
posted Hide Post
Hi Tonya,

Good to see you again. Until fairly recently, I thought my balance problems were related to left-sided weakness, as well, but that doesn't seem to be the only thing going on with me because if I can't see what's around me fairly clearly, I have serious problems staying on my feet. In fact, if I close my eyes or am in complete darkness, I fall within seconds. It's weird. There is really nothing I can do to keep myself upright if I can't see, so it doesn't seem to be a weakness thing. In PT, I've even tried using these walking sticks to help hold myself up, thinking it would give me more leverage, but that didn't help at all. It's a very odd feeling, as though my body just collapses because it can't find it's center of gravity.

Of course, weakness plays into my balance issues when I can see, so who knows? Hopefully, the tests being run in the next few weeks will show what's going on. It would be nice to be able to leave the house at night again, especially since winter is coming, which means night is about to begin at 5:00pm here in Wisconsin.

It was beautiful today. I do love fall in Wisconsin! It's my favorite season.

I'm glad to hear you survived your move. Do you like the new place? Oh, and a question for you about Prinzmetal ... have you tried Ranexa? My cardiologist wants me to try it before trying nitro, but I have to get it cleared by the kidney doc first.

--Jaclyn Heart

Maven
Picture of tonya
posted Hide Post
Hi Jaclyn,

No I haven't tried Ranexa, but a few of my heart sisters with PA have (although none of them have HM). Is he planning to add it to the Verapamil? Nitro is just the "saving" or abortive med and can help you if it's a heart attack. I use Imdur as a daily preventative. But I'm curious if you find the combo of Verapamil and Ranexa gives you relief (instead of Imdur).

Love the new place. It's ground floor and one level (no stairs anywhere). Our condo was 2 floors, which is so hard with HM.

Let us know how your tests go and what they find out about your balance issues.

Take care, Tonya

Wishing you a HM-free day,
Tonya

Living With HM:
http://LivingWithHM.com
Migraine Step By Step http://MigraineStepByStep.com

Posts: 504 | Location: Two Rivers, WI | Registered: 10-03-2008Report This Post
Novice
posted Hide Post
Hi Jaclyn!!
Well i too have problems with my balance often, even without beeing weak.
I was wondering, if not a flashlight could help you in the dark at the
moment, until you perhaps can get some more help from your doctor??
Just a thought!!

Well i hope you bee HM free as much as possible AND everyone else of course!!

Group Hug Mimmi