MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  The Tea Room    Week of November 25, 2012

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Week of November 25, 2012
 Login/Join 
Apprentice
Picture of Melanie Jane
posted
Looks like the tea room has been empty for a while, but I thought I'd stick my nose in and say "Hi" 'cause I feel like I've been a little out of the loop lately myself.

I had some minor outpatient surgery done on my hand, which is healing fine, but it sure made typing a challenge for several weeks. I finally got the splint and bandages off this week - Yay! It's so nice to have use of my hand back!

I wish everyone a pain free day.

Posts: 227 | Location: LA County, California | Registered: 02-25-2009Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Tea! I've had an orange spice black today, as well as a mug of Barry's Irish Breakfast.

I'm glad your hand is healing fine. I remember typing when I broke my hand a few years ago. I got pretty decent at one-handed typing, but I was still more than happy to get that blasted cast off so that I could use both paws.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Apprentice
Picture of Melanie Jane
posted Hide Post
On the subject of teas.... I enjoy a "stiff" mug of English Breakfast every morning when I get up, and I used to love a second cuppa in the afternoon, but I've become so sensitive to caffeine in the last few years, I can't have any after 12 noon without finding myself up half the night. I've tried a number of non-caffeinated/herbal teas, but none that I really enjoy in the same way. Has any one found a non-caffeinated or herbal tea that they would recommend?

Posts: 227 | Location: LA County, California | Registered: 02-25-2009Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of herbals for the most part. There is a mate that Republic of Tea makes that's pretty good. It has a chocolatey taste to it. That does have some caffeine, though.

I don't like red rooibos, but they've got a couple of green rooibos flavors that are decent. Plantain Coconut is good. Mango Chili is pretty decent, and the Orange Red Carrot is amazingly tasty.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

Apprentice
Picture of Melanie Jane
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Plantain Coconut sounds very tempting, and I'm sure I'd love a chocolatey mate, but I have to be careful with anything containing chocolate or cocoa since most forms trigger a migraine for me! Nonetheless, you've inspired me to look into these and other Republic of Tea flavors. Yum!

Master
Picture of JennyHOST
posted Hide Post
So are you ladies saying I'm missing out on something when I reach for my Lipton teabags? I like a cup of tea, but I've never been adventurous enough to try any flavor. Except once: my obstetrician suggested I try peppermint to help with morning sickness. Yuck! Still can't stand the smell of that stuff!! Makes me queasy just thinking about it!

I know the NutraSweet is awful, but I do like my Diet Pepsi every now and then...

JennyC
Forum Moderator

Posts: 354 | Location: PA | Registered: 04-02-2011Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
posted Hide Post
You are missing out on a great deal. I started out on Lipton way back when I was a kid, and grew up on the stuff. But in the last few years I've tried loose-leaf and higher quality bagged teas. I find Lipton to be very lacking these days. There are a couple of bagged teas I will still get at the grocery store aisle (Twinings, mostly), but mostly I order online, from Republic of Tea.

Today I tried their turmeric ginger green tea. It was rather earthy-smelling, as turmeric tends to be. But it tasted good in a rather interesting way with a bit of sugar added. I followed it with a Twinings Irish Breakfast.

Tonight I'll probably go for a Moroccan Mint. Peppermint-infused green or black tea tastes way different than herbal preparations. I particularly like the World Market mint tea.

I sent my sister some ginger peach tea from Republic of Tea when she was pregnant. You can get it in decaf. She said it really helped on queasy morning-sickness days.

Good tea is a beautiful thing. Big Grin

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

Apprentice
Picture of Melanie Jane
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Twinings, especially for English Breakfast. My favorite! And Lipton's isn't so bad, just make sure you've got the water really boiling before you steep the teabags! And maybe use two bags... and don't steep it too long...

Droolie - By any chance have you tried Republic of Tea's Vanilla Almond Black Tea? Or Vanilla Coconut White Tea?

Jenny - Your comment on diet Pepsi made me laugh. I have been working for years to quell my Coke/Pepsi habit. I'm currently trying to keep myself down to one or two a week, sigh....

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
posted Hide Post
I have tried about forty or so teas from Republic of Tea. Vanilla Almond Black and Vanilla Coconut White aren't among them. I've only ever tried one vanilla tea (Bigelow), and didn't like the fakey vanilla taste, so trying another vanilla tea has been kind of low on the priority list. I do intend to try the vanilla coconut at some point. I didn't think I liked mint tea at all, either, until recently, based on a prior experience with it. But I found that I really like the two I tried recently, so who knows? Maybe a vanilla tea will grow on me, too.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

Apprentice
Picture of Melanie Jane
posted Hide Post
Wow - 40 teas is impressive. Which ones are your all-time favorites?

So often with flavored or herbal teas I'll find I like the aroma but not the taste. I have boxes of the stuff sitting around! Then I just keep going back to my old Twinings stand-bys: English Breakfast and Lady Grey or Earl Grey. I'll let you know how I do with Rep. of Tea blends.

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
posted Hide Post
Big Green Hojicha
Ginger Peach Black
Cranberry Blood Orange Black
Blackberry Sage Black
Tea of Inquiry, which is a genmaicha (roasted green tea with toasted rice)

Easy question. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Jane:
Wow - 40 teas is impressive. Which ones are your all-time favorites?

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator