MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Medications & Treatments    Generic Imitrex vs. Zomig

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Generic Imitrex vs. Zomig
 Login/Join 
Novice
posted
Hi,
I recently switched from Zomig (5 mg) to the generic form of Imitrex (I will call GI) which is Sumatriptan 100 mg. What I have noticed is that GI works so much faster within a half hour, but it does not last as long - only about 4-5 hours - so far. I am wondering if this is what other people have experienced also?

I made the switch because of my insurance- the Zomig is so much more expensive now. I was thinking of trying Relpax (which I have tried in the past) to see if it might be a better alternative. The price is in between the other two but I'm wondering if it might last longer like the Zomig?

I've been taking vitamins including magnesium, calcium and Vit D and have been having at least 2 weeks out of the month headache-free lately which is good for me - I am hoping the vitamins are making a difference there. But I still get the hormonal migraines every month and being peri-menopause I don't always know when they are coming, but when they start I seem to get them every day for at least 1-2 weeks. I alternate between a triptan and Indocin but this month Indocin doesn't seem to be working as good and now the GI isn't lasting very long so I need to explore other options.

Any advice?

Thank you as always,
LindaP

[[!##l10n key='TXT_PLATFORM_MODULE_POST_SIGNATURE_HTML' ##]

Posts: 61 | Location: New England | Registered: 01-01-2008Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Not only do the triptans each work a little differently from each other, they also work differently from person to person. The only way you're going to be able to tell if Relpax is a decent option is to try it and see. You might ask your doctor to write you a trial prescription for just a couple of them to try the Relpax, so you wouldn't be out so much money, and then if turns out it's a good option compared to the Zomig, then you can ask for a new scrip for a greater quantity. For what it's worth, Frova seems to have a very long half-life, if that's what you're looking at. The numbers I'm seeing for Imitrex, Zomig, and Relpax are 2.5 hours, 3 hours, and 4-5 hours, respectively. The half-life for Frova is listed at a whopping 25 hours on the chart I was just looking at. It does say that Frova seems to take longer to kick in, though. I just did a general search-engine search for half-life and triptans.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post