MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Medications & Treatments    Moh from NSAIDs

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Moh from NSAIDs
 Login/Join 
Novice
Picture of FluffyPants007
posted
IvE read so many different things about moh and NSAIDs. For example, no more than 15 days per month for 3 months, no more than 10 days a month for 3 months. I've also seen on many sites that aleve/NSAIDs are less likely to cause moh than Tylenol etc.
What is correct?
I'm getting 2 hormonal migraines a month. So far I haven't found a triptan that works for me and my doc is reluctant to give me more. I live on aleve for about 3 days 2x a month. I do not take more than that as I'm afraid of moh.

Save a life, adopt a shelter companion!

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Posts: 84 | Location: Oakland, Ca | Registered: 11-25-2010Report This Post
Novice
Picture of FluffyPants007
posted Hide Post
I also forgot to mention that I don't take the aleve at night, just during the day so I can take the max dose. At night I take a 5/500 Vicodin and usually get what sleep I can.

Save a life, adopt a shelter companion!

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Posts: 84 | Location: Oakland, Ca | Registered: 11-25-2010Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get too nitpicky on trying to figure out what's "correct" and what's not and comparing classes of meds.

Generally speaking, the rule of thumb is to not take any one class of rebound-potential medication more than once or twice a week. I'm pretty sure that that's a general, blanket kind of recommendation, regardless of individual likeliness of rebound, and regardless of individual classes of meds. There's actually good reason to not compare, and to go with a more or less standard, general rule of thumb for any med that might cause rebound.

It is true that some medications are mentioned more in terms of MOH/rebound, because it's been noted that they seem to trigger some people more easily than other meds, but it's really a very relative thing, and mileage varies greatly from one person to another for which meds and which amounts are more or less likely to trigger them. Some people are so susceptible to rebound that one single dose of anything might send them into rebound every time. Others are much less susceptible, and can take weeks of daily med use before rebounding. It's impossible to build a hard and fast rule for each med type, because the same med can affect individuals so differently. For instance, an NSAID might be less likely to cause rebound for me than Tylenol, but you might have the opposite issue, and find that Tylenol is less likely to cause rebound for you than an NSAID.

That's why there's a generalized rule of thumb of not more than 1-2 times per week for any potential med, erring on the side of caution. That's a pretty "safe" rule, as it leans toward prevention on the scale of those with a lower rebound threshhold. Those who are a bit more tolerant of the meds without rebound are still going to be just as cautious by default, and that can't hurt. If you follow a tighter prevention regimen, even if you're less susceptible to MOH, you stand a better chance at avoiding it.

That all being said, the best amount limits for you to avoid rebound are the ones your doctor and you work out together, based on your individual traits and needs. You might have already established together that you're less susceptible, and your doctor might be comfortable with you taking the meds a little bit more frequently. Nothing is set in stone. But...if you don't have a set plan in place for limits, then it's probably best to follow the same general guideline of not more than once or twice a week for ANY rebound-potential med.

Hope that made sense.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
Hi Fluffy,

Droolie, as always, gave you great information on moh. I wanted to add some additional information from our main site;

Medication Overuse Headache -When the Remedy Backfires

Let us know if you have any questions,

Nancy

Report This Post