MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Medications & Treatments    Epidrin vs Midrin?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Epidrin vs Midrin?
 Login/Join 
Apprentice
posted
I read Teri's post over on Healthcentral that said Epidrin had an application in with the FDA (sorry, no link, I came here after). I've never heard of it before but it seems comparable to/same as Midrin. I've been taking a generic to Midrin for a while, it's about the only thing that actually ever *REALLY* worked on my migraines (on all the parts). So while I'm in the uh...oh...um...paddle? ANYONE KNOW WHERE THAT PADDLE IS?? boat right now as far as what to do in the inirum (looking into a compounding pharmacy) I'm thinking future too. Has anyone that has used Midrin/generic to a prescription written for Midrin has taken Epidrin? Is it actually the same? I know the ingredients are, but are they in the same amounts (I hope that makes sense-like tylenol has reg strength 325 mg and extra strength 500 mg)?

MMC Lead Expert
Supreme Guru
Picture of Teri Robert
posted Hide Post
Epidrin was exactly the same as Midrin. Excellium, the manufacturer was trying to reach an agreement with the FDA. No dice. They have decided that they are NOT going to invest the years and the millions of $$ to do clinical trials and file a new drug application with the FDA. So, Epidrin is also now permanently discontinued.

I know of no drug with the same ingredients as Midrin that is still available. The closest is Prodrin. It contains the isometheptene mucate and acetaminophen that's in Midrin, plus caffeine. It does not have the dichloralphenazone (sedative) that was in Midrin. Prodrim is made by Gentex Pharma, LLC.

It does look like the only option to get the exact same thing as Midrin is going to be finding a compounding pharmacy.

Teri Robert
Lead Health Guide, HealthCentral Migraine Community
terimmc@helpforheadaches.com

Author of Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches

Stay up-to-date on Migraine info with my free weekly newsleter. Subscribe here

visit me on or

Posts: 4220 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
Ick. I found a REALLY weird side effect to Topamax with too much caffiene. My face feels like it's tingling/vibrating. At least it appears to be that. It never happened to me before starting the topamax, and has only happened to me twice since, both times I drank a 20oz of mountain dew...so...I'll really have to think hard on that other med! lol. I guess I'll look into compounding then. *crossing fingers*

MMC Lead Expert
Supreme Guru
Picture of Teri Robert
posted Hide Post
Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

Good luck!

quote:
Originally posted by electricgreen:
Ick. I found a REALLY weird side effect to Topamax with too much caffiene. My face feels like it's tingling/vibrating. At least it appears to be that. It never happened to me before starting the topamax, and has only happened to me twice since, both times I drank a 20oz of mountain dew...so...I'll really have to think hard on that other med! lol. I guess I'll look into compounding then. *crossing fingers*

Teri Robert

visit me on or

Master
Picture of lisa ebk
posted Hide Post
teri,
Do you know that dichloralphenazone is available? The compounding pharmacy I worked with said it was not. I filled a prescription with the isometheptene mucate and acetaminophen and am finding relief with it. But I did appreciate Midrin's sedative to help the nightime migraine.

Thanks again for being the only information on the web I can find on this subject!
lisa

Posts: 315 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 03-21-2008Report This Post
MMC Lead Expert
Supreme Guru
Picture of Teri Robert
posted Hide Post
Lisa,

No, I don't know that it's available by itself to compounding pharmacies at this time. Some people have told me they've gotten Midrin compounded, but it's been a few weeks since anyone has reported that.

I can tell you that it's the dichloralphenazone that earned Midrin it's DEA Schedule IV classification.

Dr. Krusz works pretty closely with a compounding pharmacy. I'll email him to see if he knows anything more.

Teri Robert

visit me on or

Apprentice
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to mention that I did get my script filled by a compounding pharmacy, however what I've got is:

acetaminophen-isometheptine-chloralhydrate 325mg-65mg-100mg

It doesn't work as well as the previous generic Midrin I was getting, especially for the emotional side effects I suffer from with my migraines.

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
For the record, I tried a couple of weeks ago to get a prescription for Prodrin, but they're weren't able to get it in. My pharmacy was told that Prodrin, too, was discontinued by the manufacturer. So much for plan B.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post