MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Medications & Treatments    Prednisone to stop a migraine cycle?
Page 1 2 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Prednisone to stop a migraine cycle?
 Login/Join 
Master
Picture of Jaimee
posted
I was just wondering if this is a common treatment. I am thinking perhaps since I have hemiplegic migraine, it's the best option to stop a cycle that just keeps going and going? My neuro called in a 6 day regimen. I'm hoping it will kick this thing...

Posts: 292 | Location: Upstate, South Carolina | Registered: 05-14-2008Report This Post
Maven
Picture of Meli
posted Hide Post
I've tried Prednisone a couple of times. It is relatively common to receive a steriod pack in attempt to break a long term migraine. The first time I took the Prednisone I saw no improvement, and then second time it made my head worse. Others have had success with it.

I hope it works for you!
Meli

Posts: 659 | Location: NH | Registered: 01-12-2009Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's fairly common for doctors to prescribe steroid dose packs to try and help abort a stubborn migraine cycle. I can't say I've ever tried one, but I know plenty of others have, to varying degrees of success.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Master
Picture of kiwiE-J
posted Hide Post
I never knew prednisone was used for migraine... my dad is on it all the time for his emphisemia... interesting! I shall have to ask about that if/when I ever get a nasty stubborn attack again.... they always try strange alternative routes with me...

Smile... it makes people wonder what you're thinking about

Posts: 333 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09-23-2009Report This Post
Master
Picture of Jaimee
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your replies! Well, it seems to have worked! I started the prednisone on day 8 I believe of the migraine (actually w/head pain this time, not paralysis). By day 3, it was pretty much gone. I have today and tomorrow left, so hoping it stays away. Aside from having some sleep issues, I didn't have any problems from taking it.

Posts: 292 | Location: Upstate, South Carolina | Registered: 05-14-2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I started a Prednisone Dosepack on Friday for my headaches and the first days were good. I am also wondering what happens when it's done, since it's only a 5 day boost.
The other things I got at the same time were local anesthesia shots in my head. That might have done the trick too. Not sure but the Prednisone gave a lot of energy Thumbs Up and I finally ( after 3 days) was able to keep some liquids down.

People may forget what you said, and they may forget what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.

Master
Picture of Jaimee
posted Hide Post
Well... I don't know about anybody else, but I wonder if it would have been easier and more pleasant to deal with a neverending migraine than the crash and burn of prednisone withdrawal. My whole body... skin, muscles, joints, lymph nodes... hurts like I am bruised, sunburned, worked out, and run over. Add to that diarrhea and a numb tongue? Yeah, I'm fairly sure it wasn't worth it. Argh.

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
posted Hide Post
I had a Medrol dose pack for plugged ears a few years ago. Steroids are really a trippy ride, especially those first few days. It wasn't pretty. Hope you're feeling better tonight.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

Master
Picture of Jaimee
posted Hide Post
I felt great while I was on it! Mad
You would think it would have to get out of your system eventually right? My last dose was Tuesday morning and this pain is still going strong... Put a call into the Neuro yesterday afternoon but haven't heard back yet...

Apprentice
Picture of Toaster
posted Hide Post
I am starting a course of prednisone today to try to break a week-long migraine cycle, which has never happened to me before (at least not this intense/this bad). My neuro first gave me Reglan yesterday, but that didn't help at all, so her next option was to try the steroid.

Does anyone have an idea of how long prednisone usually takes to work? I'm not sure if I can take several more days of this! Eeker

Posts: 114 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 09-20-2010Report This Post
Fledgling
posted Hide Post
I have taken prednisone before but not for migraines. I had severe abdominal pain because of it. So be careful.

Posts: 14 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 01-21-2012Report This Post
Apprentice
Picture of Toaster
posted Hide Post
My doctor did caution to take it with food; she also mentioned that I might not have to worry about many of the side effects since I am only doing a short-term course. I have taken the first dose without any problems, and I do seem to be experiencing some headache relief (it's still there, but MUCH less intense than the past several days).

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toaster:
Does anyone have an idea of how long prednisone usually takes to work? I'm not sure if I can take several more days of this! Eeker

I don't know how long it generally takes during a course of steroids to notice a positive difference, but I'd assume it varies from one person to the next. I only had steroids once, for plugged ears. I do know those first couple of days were rough, and then it got better from there as far as the steroid side effects went. It seems to me my pharmacist suggested I take mine in the morning, since the jittery insomnia bit might've been problematic at bedtime.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

Apprentice
Picture of Toaster
posted Hide Post
Thanks DD--yes, both the doctor and pharmacist did tell me to take the medication in the a.m. Although the headache is still there, it must be having SOME effect, as this is the first day all week that I didn't take any daytime naps and was able to spend most of the days doing little tasks around the house, including making dinner.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a decent night's sleep tonight and make it to work tomorrow (which also hasn't happened all week!).

posted Hide Post
I just got put on Prednisone yesterday for 12 days to stop a current migraine cycle. I feel good today, no problems with it. Woke up without a migraine for the first time in 7 years, I hope it keeps working and they stay gone. I hope everything works out for you.