MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Medications & Treatments    Midrin is back! Yeah!

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Midrin is back! Yeah!
 Login/Join 
posted
Ok good news if you are like me and found Midrin a blessing and used it for years. I was very upset when I could no longer get this vital drug for migraine treatment. Thank you CVS pharmacy for having a caring tech who saw my pain and when was told Midrin use to be my release that it is back on the market and has been for two months. It's actually the generic, but it does help me. Figured someone else would want to know.

Happy migraine management to you.

MMC Lead Expert
Supreme Guru
Picture of Teri Robert
posted Hide Post
On your prescription bottle, does it say it's made my Macoven?

If so, I talked with womeone there a couple of months ago. They said they're working with the FDA to keep it on the market.

Not to be a downer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pulled from the market too. Other companies have "worked with the FDA" to keep their Midrin equivalent on the market, but it hasn't worked. So, it may be a matter of time on this one too. I hope not, but like the other companies, Macoven isn't going to do the clinical trials needed to apply for FDA approval, so I just don't know.

quote:
Originally posted by Jehosheba:
Ok good news if you are like me and found Midrin a blessing and used it for years. I was very upset when I could no longer get this vital drug for migraine treatment. Thank you CVS pharmacy for having a caring tech who saw my pain and when was told Midrin use to be my release that it is back on the market and has been for two months. It's actually the generic, but it does help me. Figured someone else would want to know.

Teri Robert
Lead Health Guide, HealthCentral Migraine Community
terimmc@helpforheadaches.com

Author of Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches

Stay up-to-date on Migraine info with my free weekly newsleter. Subscribe here

visit me on or

Posts: 4220 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that could be a downer. I'll ration them out to when I really think I need them. It's what I did with my last one. Wonder if they will let you stockpile 'em? I have a good pharmacist he'll probaly order some to keep it on hand. I just filled it with that one company because I knew they had it.

MMC Lead Expert
Supreme Guru
Picture of Teri Robert
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of options. Our medical reviewer on this site, Dr. John Claude Krusz, has advised us that we can freeze capsules or tablets to avoid their expiring. You could refill your prescription whenever you can and freeze it. Just be sure to put it in a freezer bag and squeeze out all of the air before you put it in the freezer. I usually double bag my meds before freezing them.

Some people are also getting a prescription from their doctor that they can take to a compounding pharmacy, where they can make a Midrin equivalent medication for them.

quote:
Yes, that could be a downer. I'll ration them out to when I really think I need them. It's what I did with my last one. Wonder if they will let you stockpile 'em? I have a good pharmacist he'll probaly order some to keep it on hand. I just filled it with that one company because I knew they had it.

Teri Robert

visit me on or

posted Hide Post
quote:

Hi..I'm new to the forum, and am a headache sufferer for over 27 years, recently re-diagnosed as having and "Migraines & Rebound Headaches" from overuse of BC headache powders. I won't go into depth of my horrible experience I have had with my headaches and doctors in trying to figure out the best prescription for me. Was on Topamax! Horrible! Currently not on anything because the new prescription just prescribed yesterday, is too expensive, and there is no generic form for it, which I just learned from the pharmacy. Now I'm sitting here in tears, tired of this back and forth! I'm about to give up! But I will say I heard about Midrin, asked my provider about it, and as she was correct, Midrin is no longer available. She did say it was a wonderful drug and not sure why it was discontinued. I called multiple pharmacies in my area, and all said that it was NOT available. Not sure if it would work anyway for me as I had a severe reaction to Sumavel injection. (Which I do believe are is the same drug class as Midrin). So where are you located or what CVS pharmacy is this Midrin available so I can inquire. My CVS here in GA does not carry it, nor any other pharmacies here.

MMC Lead Expert
Supreme Guru
Picture of Teri Robert
posted Hide Post
gigi,

-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

The Midrin issue is a long story, one that we've reported on continually on HealthCentral. Please see the other posts in this thread and this article for more information on both the background and the Midrin equivalent medication that IS available at this time - Midrin Equivalent Migraine Medication Available.

To clarify, although Sumavel and Midrin are both Migraine abortive medications, they're not the same class of abortive. Sumavel is a triptan drug (sumatriptan). Midrin is in a class by itself. Regarding your reaction to the Sumavel, have you talked with your doctor much about the other drugs in the triptan family? Some who have a reaction to one are able to take some of the other six. One thing that can be done if your doctor thinks you could try them would be to try a dose in your doctor's office to be on the safe and comfortable side.

Welcome again!

quote:
Originally posted by gigi:
Hi..I'm new to the forum, and am a headache sufferer for over 27 years, recently re-diagnosed as having and "Migraines & Rebound Headaches" from overuse of BC headache powders. I won't go into depth of my horrible experience I have had with my headaches and doctors in trying to figure out the best prescription for me. Was on Topamax! Horrible! Currently not on anything because the new prescription just prescribed yesterday, is too expensive, and there is no generic form for it, which I just learned from the pharmacy. Now I'm sitting here in tears, tired of this back and forth! I'm about to give up! But I will say I heard about Midrin, asked my provider about it, and as she was correct, Midrin is no longer available. She did say it was a wonderful drug and not sure why it was discontinued. I called multiple pharmacies in my area, and all said that it was NOT available. Not sure if it would work anyway for me as I had a severe reaction to Sumavel injection. (Which I do believe are is the same drug class as Midrin). So where are you located or what CVS pharmacy is this Midrin available so I can inquire. My CVS here in GA does not carry it, nor any other pharmacies here.

Teri Robert

visit me on or

posted Hide Post
I'm in Jacksonville Florida. I wasn't trying to plug CVS, I was just happy they could help me. I'm not as versed in the various drugs and I am having a time of it myself. I'm suppose to see the neurologist on Thursday and I'm going to talk to him about the CQ 10. I've just found Midrin or it's equivalent provides me some relief. It doesn't always knock the migraine out but it can make it bearable. My side effect is it makes my scalp itch.

Good luck, did you at least cut out all the known "common" triggers? I.e. Caffiene, red wine, aged cheeses, etc. That might help. Chin up it will get better.

posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for posting this!!! Midrin has been my best friend for over 10yrs!
Trying to head off a killer migraine at this moment. Can't wit to call the doc to get this filled!!!