MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Medications & Treatments    Axert - is this a new drug?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Axert - is this a new drug?
 Login/Join 
Novice
Picture of FluffyPants007
posted
I can't take the following:
Relpax
Imitrex
Maxalt
Migranol

They all the have the same side effects for me - rapid heart rate, dizziness, and tingling in my hands & feet, chest tightness. My neuro says that more than likely the other ones will cause the same side effects and is hesitant to prescribe any other ones in the same family.

Is Axvert new? Is it in the same family as the above ones?

I had major success with taking promethazine as an abortive, I mean major success until the last 3 times I took it. The paranoia and agitation were unbearable to the point where I almost had to go to the ER. So far it's the only medication that has worked as an abortive for me.

Save a life, adopt a shelter companion!

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Posts: 84 | Location: Oakland, Ca | Registered: 11-25-2010Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
Hi Fluffy,

Nice to see you posting again! No, Axert has been around for quite some time and is a triptan that aborts the Migrainous process. There is something called "triptan sensation" which is a set of side effects similar to the symptoms of angina that, unfortunately, some people experience when they use triptans. These side effects can include anxiety, chest pain and/or discomfort, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, neck and/or jaw pain and sweating. If you've experienced those in Relpax, Imitrex and Maxalt there is no guarantee you have the same experience with the other triptans.
Migranal Nasal Spray is actually in a different class of medications called ergotomines but does abort the Migrainour process.

I know how confusing it can get with all the different medication there are to treat Migraine Disease. Promethazine is a rescue medication that can be taken when preventive and abortives fail. Preventive, Abortive and Rescue Medications - What's the Difference? . Migranal Nasal Spray is actually in a different class of medications called ergotomines but does abort the Migrainour process.

How many Migraines are you having during the month? I ask because current thinking is anyone who has three or more Migraines a month needs to talk with their doctor about prevention. There's growing evidence that Migraine is a progressive brain disease. A recent study showed that Migraines can cause brain damage, and that people with three or more Migraines a month are more susceptible to this damage. For more information, see Is Migraine a Progressive Brain Disease?,Yes, Migraines Can Cause Brain Damage and Migraine with Aura Linked to Late-Life Brain Lesions.

I hope this helps,
Nancy

Report This Post
Novice
posted Hide Post
Funny that you should ask how many a month I am having....in my head it's only 1 during my period, but the reality is it's about 2-3 per month including my one during my period.

I just tallied them up for this year, and I have gone a few months with only one per month, but most months are 2 per month, and rarely 3 per month, but it has happened this year.

I will call my neuro tomorrow and set up an appt to talk about a preventative.

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

Novice
posted Hide Post
These talk a lot on migraine with aura. I have never had migraine with aura, ever.

Do the same concerns apply to migraine without aura?

--Immanuel Kant

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
I know you're hesitant about trying Axert, with your history of the other triptans. However, each triptan works a bit differently in comparison to other triptans, and it is possible that you wouldn't have the same side effects. It could be that you don't have any issue with Axert. I know you're wanting to think about other options before considering trying Axert.

But...if you do ever go that route, I do have a suggestion.

We've had many people on the forum over the past few years that have had issues with one triptan or another, and gone on to try others in that class. One thing that they've found helpful is that some doctors are willing to let patients try their first dose in the office, just to make sure things go okay with it. It wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor if he's willing to do that should you end up trying Axert. The peace of mind could mean a lot. Just throwing this tidbit out there for you as a potential option to explore.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I have horrendous reactions to most of the triptans. I can take Axert though. Well sort of anyway. I only take 1/2 a tab at a time and the side effects are still kind of half nasty but sometimes the side effects are less evil than the pain level.

Amy

Posts: 360 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 06-22-2009Report This Post