MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Complementary / Alternative Therapies    Butterbur: toxic to liver and can cause cancer!

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Butterbur: toxic to liver and can cause cancer!
 Login/Join 
Apprentice
posted
This was on my neuro's blog. Yikes!

"We no longer recommend butterbur to our patients. We participated in a large (245 patients) placebo-controlled trial of butterbur, which showed that 150 mg of butterbur is effective in the prevention of migraine headaches when compared to placebo. The results were published in the leading neurological journal – Neurology and the American Academy of Neurology recently endorsed the use of butterbur for the prevention of migraine headaches. Because butterbur is highly toxic to the liver and can cause cancer we were very happy to have a highly purified product manufactured in Germany (sold as Petadolex and other brands), where it had to pass strict safety studies. However, Germany is no longer allowing butterbur to be sold there because the manufacturer changed its purification process and did not repeat all of the required safety studies. Butterbur made in Germany and in the US is still sold in the US, but our FDA does not regulate herbal products and does not require the extensive safety tests that are required in Germany. This is why we no longer recommend butterbur for our patients."

www.nyheadache.com

Posts: 108 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09-17-2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
My neuro was insistent that I use Weber brand Petadolex only ( the german brand) and it has helped me a great deal. I have so very many adverse reactions to most commonly prescribed preventatives. Just my experience. YMMV

Amy

Posts: 360 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 06-22-2009Report This Post