MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Calling Jamie! Where to stay in Durham?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Calling Jamie! Where to stay in Durham?
 Login/Join 
Apprentice
Picture of andrea316
posted
Hi, Jamie!

Bennett and I have our appointment-November 20. We're seeing Dr. Perkins (I wanted Bennett to see Dr. Burch, but he retired). She apparently helps run the Pituitary Clinic at Duke, so I have my fingers crossed.

Now I need advice on where to stay. I went on AAA and found two hotels right across the street from Duke (so they say)...the Brookwood and University Inn. Got any recommendations? right now it looks like we'll only be there one night, unless they decide to keep Bennett for testing of some kind.

You are an angel! Angel Thanks for your help!
Andrea

Forum Moderator
Guru
Picture of JamieHOST
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrea,

Hmmm... I've definitely heard of both- but it might be for a negative reason. I'd strongly recommend the Durham Hilton It's less than 5 miles from Duke, in a good area, and they have a free shuttle. I believe they also have Duke hospital rates...

It's a nice place... I've had friends who worked there, and they've were always impressed with how differently that hotel took care take care of special needs/ requests.

There's also multiple options for food, etc... and it's in a safe neighborhood. It might be slightly pricier than the others you found, but it's worth it for the added safety. If you get TOO close to Duke, it can get sketch... They're trying to clean that area up, and it's definitely a LOT safer than it was...but still not wonderful.

The Brookwood seems to be the better of the two that you found... I'd probably go that way if the hilton isn't free.

I'm just really familiar with the hilton, and can vouch for the fact that it's a nice place, and the staff really will try to make y'all as comfy as can be- especially when you mention why you're heading their way.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be around more this week, so getting back to you should be much quicker! (apologies for this taking a few days to get back to you!!)

quote:
Originally posted by andrea316:
Hi, Jamie!

Bennett and I have our appointment-November 20. We're seeing Dr. Perkins (I wanted Bennett to see Dr. Burch, but he retired). She apparently helps run the Pituitary Clinic at Duke, so I have my fingers crossed.

Now I need advice on where to stay. I went on AAA and found two hotels right across the street from Duke (so they say)...the Brookwood and University Inn. Got any recommendations? right now it looks like we'll only be there one night, unless they decide to keep Bennett for testing of some kind.

You are an angel! Angel Thanks for your help!
Andrea

Jamie
Forum Moderator

Posts: 2886 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 01-12-2007Report This Post
Apprentice
Picture of andrea316
posted Hide Post
Hi, Jamie!

That is exactly the kind of information I needed! Thank you so much...I felt kind of funny when I read the reviews of the other two hotels, but had no idea where else to look. This helps a lot. I will give them a call first thing in the morning.

I'll let you know if I need other information. You have been so helpful, twice now! I really do appreciate your inside knowledge!

Thanks again, Jamie! Flower
Andrea

Forum Moderator
Guru
Picture of JamieHOST
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrea!

I'm so glad I could help!

Also, depending on which building you're going to at duke- there's at least plenty of parking- even if it's paid parking, but it's relatively cheap. ($1 for first hr, max 8-12/ day, iirc)

Good luck! If you need any other info... I'm here! Yes

quote:
Originally posted by andrea316:
Hi, Jamie!

That is exactly the kind of information I needed! Thank you so much...I felt kind of funny when I read the reviews of the other two hotels, but had no idea where else to look. This helps a lot. I will give them a call first thing in the morning.

I'll let you know if I need other information. You have been so helpful, twice now! I really do appreciate your inside knowledge!

Thanks again, Jamie! Flower
Andrea

Jamie
Forum Moderator

Posts: 2886 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 01-12-2007Report This Post