MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Pain in teeth during migraine?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Pain in teeth during migraine?
 Login/Join 
posted
When I'm having a migraine, I almost always have unbearable pain in my teeth! Mostly my back teeth.
I know I do not have any dental problem such as a cavity causing the pain.
Does anyone else have this problem?
Suggestion for dealing with the added pain?
I worked as a dental assistant in the past & my dentist has been great and dispensed Benzocaine 20% (Orajel is Benzocaine 10%) but the pain returns so quickly because the Benzocaine is rather temporary.
Confused Head Banging

Posts: 3 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08-23-2010Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

I get this very often. I also have an issue that can sometimes compound the problem, too. On occasion, I clench my teeth when in pain if it's bad enough, and that can spike the pain in my teeth.

Usually this kind of pain is referred pain from the trigeminal nerve that is "cranky". This nerve branches out in all directions across the temple, eye ridge, sinuses, and down into the jaw. It's kind of like dumping dye into a river; eventually it will work its way down into the tributaries. The referred pain of migraine can do the same thing down the "tributaries" of the trigeminal nerve. If you want a picture that puts it into perspective, you can check out this link to Pathways of Migraine.

Usually the best way to deal with this pain is to attack it at the source by getting control of the migraine that's causing the pain that's trickling down the nerve branches. Topical analgesics aren't going to do much but maybe mask a bit of it for a few minutes with the numbness. If the pain doesn't clear up with the clearing up of the migraine, then it's probably time to visit with the doctor and explore non-migraine causes of pain in these areas. Most of us find that it's just the migraine talking, and it will go away if the migraine is aborted.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Grasshopper
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem a couple of years back -- pain in all of my bottom right teeth and lower right jaw bone that was sometimes accompanied by a tingling sensation in my right cheek. The pain was particularly bad if I drank hot or cold beverages or ate hot or cold food (everything had to be body temperature) and I couldn't chew anything on that side of my mouth. I went to my dentist & endodontist and had numerous tests and scans where they confirmed there were no cavities, cracks, leaking crowns or fillings, TMJ or any other dental reason for the pain.

My neurologist figured out that it was probably an uncommon side effect to the preventative med I was on for my migraines - the pain started about a week after I started the med & went away about 2 weeks after I stopped taking that preventative. (he checked the big book that lists all side effects and no face/jaw/tooth pain was listed in the side effects for that drug).

I thought it was weird that the side effect would only affect one part of my jaw but my neuro told me that it's not uncommon for drug side effects to only affect one part of the body on one side. Anyway, just mentioning this so that you can rule out any changes (other than migraine) that occurred around the time your teeth pain started.

Big hug; I remember how awful it was & am sorry that you are dealing with it. Hope the pain goes away soon!

Grasshopper
Picture of MamaD
posted Hide Post
Dear TawnyN

I also have this issue - pain in my cheekbone, teeth, palate. I am a big "clencher" both at night and during the day if I get stressed. A physical therapist I went to (who specializes in headache) advised me to have my dental appliance (I was already wearing at night for clenching) built up in the front so my molars don't touch in the back, and as Droolie said, making that trigeminal nerve "cranky." She said that as it was, the bite splint was just a "chew toy" for me. It actually did help relieve about 10 - 20% of my migraine severity.

Another thing I've learned about is bundle of nerves called the "spheno palatine ganglion." This ganglion is located behind your nose near your sinuses, and can also trigger migraine.

A good reason to know about these nerves is, if you can't eliminate the triggers, you might be a good candidate for a nerve block of these areas (trigeminal and sphenopalatine). This is basically an injection of a "caine" drug (since you work in dentistry, you know about its use to numb an area), as well as a steriod. This is a very specialized procedure, but one that has been used somewhat successfully by others on this forum. To a search, click on the "find" tab at the top of your post, or use the search box in the upper right hand corner of the web page. You'll find lots of information on nerve blocks if you are interested. You can find info on the sphenopalatine block (which does not involve needles, by the way) online. I am not advocating either one, I am just letting you know that there are surgical procedures available to help if you are a candidate for them. If I hadn't read about the blocks on this site, I would not have known to ask my neurologist about them.

Let us know what' you're up to, and if you've had success with a particular method. We'd all love to learn from you!

Salude!

Posts: 37 | Location: middle of the mitten | Registered: 10-06-2009Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
Hi,

Facial pain and nasal congestion can be just a few of the symptoms some people get when they have a Migraine attack. Painful cheeks, red, swollen eyes and even a runny nose are a few more. This article, Sinuses Giving You a Headache? It's Probably Migraine may be of some help too.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is some more information: http://headaches.about.com/lib...earch/n-pathways.htm . The link is illustrating branches of the trigeminal nerve lie. During a Migraine, the trigeminal nerve and surrounding tissues become inflamed. There are 3 branches: 1 goes over the eyes, one under the eyes in the sinus area, and the third along the lower jaw. I understood better why teeth, face, and even ears hurt sometimes. Is this causing your tooth pain?

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

Welcome to the forum, milo7474!

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Apprentice
Picture of tucker317
posted Hide Post
I don't specifically get pain in my teeth during a migraine, but when I get a "face headache" (more so around my nose from cold airconditioning blowing my direction at work - grrrr - for all those who like the artic weather in the summer so I have to dress like it's the middle of winter!), it does feel like a "sinus" headache so my whole face will hurt.

On top of that, I also have TMJ. My dentist actually sent me to a specific massage therapist who used to be a dental hygenist and works on TMJ. It's rather weird since she puts on gloves and massages that muscle from inside your mouth and outside and up your temples and boy will it hurt sometimes. Of course, she always finds trigger points I didn't know were tender until she touches them!

I am on my 4th type of nightguard now - a full one on top that is bigger in the front than the back. It has the same goal as the NTI, which I used for several years, in that your front teeth are the part that "touch" and the back teeth are separated and can't touch. But really my back teeth can touch a bit if I move my jaw forward enough. I had rubbed my front bottom teeth down with the NTI so I got the full guard to help "rub" them evenly again. Which means I will grind anything that touches.

I have to be VERY Cognizant of keeping my mouth open during the day - or if I don't want people to think I'm catching flies! - at least keeping my lips together and my teeth apart (usually I put my tongue between my teeth) so I don't unconsciously grind even during the day. I can't help it at night. I also keep clonazepam on hand when I'm really stressed at night and can take it. If I wake up with sore jaws, I know I've been ruminating in the night. too much thinking going on!! I think Elavil is also used to help with grinding - at least that's what a denist I had years ago wanted to give me but I just started with a nightguard first. I can't remember the name of it, but you can get them at Target now - at least you could for a while. It kind of wears like a retainer on your bottom teeth and are reasonably priced. I chewed thru the soft ones - they make a hard one I had to order. The NTI and full ones can run up to $500 if not covered by insurance.

Good luck!

Posts: 194 | Location: VA | Registered: 01-31-2008Report This Post