MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Barometric Pressure, Low Blood Pressure and Migraines....

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Barometric Pressure, Low Blood Pressure and Migraines....
 Login/Join 
Wizard
Picture of Katinthecorner
posted
I was talking to KellyFlyWithHope on facebook the other day, and we both had a similar experience, so I wanted to ask around...

Do you find your blood pressure is abnormally low if you have it taken when the barometric pressure is low?

I had it taken at Dr Youngs once and it was like 98/54, but I had consumed a ton of caffiene that day (I'm caffiene free 90% of the time). I also was in the early stages of a migraine and hadn't taken a triptan yet. My conclusion was that it was because the barometric pressure was low that day (hence the migraine).

Kelly had a similar experience with low BP/low barometric pressure.

That got me thinking.... Does the low pressure over dilate my blood vessels, causing the low blood pressure? And if that is what is causing the low blood pressure, is the over dilation of my vessels triggering the migraine?

So, I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Jersey City Nj | Registered: 01-15-2008Report This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
I just had mine taken at the neuro and it was 100/70, according to the weatehr channel it's Barometer:30.11 in and rising. I would think the Inderal would have worn off by now, I stopped it about a week ago. I'm usually @110-115/65-75.

Master
Picture of lisa ebk
posted Hide Post
Interesting theory. I check my BP occasionally when I have a migraine because it ususally increases with pain. I don't know the pathophysiology but I am not sure that blood vessels always are dialated with low blood pressure. Such as with tachycardia, heart beating too fast, blood pressure can be low. And when you stand up and blood pressure drops the body responds by increasing the heart rate and narrowing the vessels. Would be a good question for a MD or Ask the Clinician?

But someone remind me. I remember the vascular component of a migraine includes constriction and then dialation of the vessels?

Posts: 315 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 03-21-2008Report This Post
Maven
Picture of Migraineur
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I'll have to keep track of this. Right now my resting heart rate is 52bpm (can't take bp right now) and the current barometric pressure is 29.84 and falling.

posted Hide Post
After a spell of blacking out when my migraines started coming on full blast, we were finally able to get my BP and found it to be 72/40, which casued the blackout and they are ASSUMING may be causing the migraines.

I've been on BP meds for the past 2 months to raise my pressure....no more blackout spells, but the migraines haven't stopped...

Posts: 5 | Location: Glen Allen VA | Registered: 05-27-2010Report This Post
Maven
Picture of newbattleaxe
posted Hide Post
My BP's been low all my life, generally around 90/60. I've even been rejected as a blood donor for my low BP.

I think there's more to storms triggering migraines than just low barometric pressures. How many of us have ridden express elevators to the tops of very tall buildings without getting hit? That's a serious drop in atmospheric pressure!

TTFN!
Rebecca, The Island Mama

Posts: 854 | Location: coastal South Carolina | Registered: 01-19-2007Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Nope. Mine's on the low side, but it's pretty consistent. I've never noticed any shift down further yet due to barometric pressure.

quote:
Originally posted by Katinthecorner:

Do you find your blood pressure is abnormally low if you have it taken when the barometric pressure is low?

So, I'd like to know if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Actually, caffeine usually has the opposite effect, temporarily increasing blood pressure.

quote:
Originally posted by Katinthecorner:

I had it taken at Dr Youngs once and it was like 98/54, but I had consumed a ton of caffiene that day (I'm caffiene free 90% of the time).

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Wizard
Picture of Katinthecorner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dragondroolHOST:

Actually, caffeine usually has the opposite effect, temporarily increasing blood pressure.

I meant that it was weird that my BP would be so low having had so much caffiene b/c I know it usually raises it.... I just wanted to clarify that so you don't think I'm that much of a ditz Wink

Posts: 1920 | Location: Jersey City Nj | Registered: 01-15-2008Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
No worries. I don't think you're a ditz in the least.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Picture of SoBlest
posted Hide Post
I don't know about my blood pressure, but whenever the barametic pressure falls, I get a migraine. I can always count on it. My BP is usually low anyway. If it goes much lower, I would be really concerned. I will watch it next time that the barametric pressure falls and I get a migraine. This just happened AGAIN a few days ago. UGGHHH!
SoBlest

Posts: 7 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 08-07-2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see that there are others making the connection between migraines and barometric pressure and low blood pressure. I was wondering if there was a connection myself.

Posts: 1 | Location: Youngstown, OH | Registered: 01-07-2011Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

Not only do barometric weather changes play a role in triggering a Migraine for some people, see Migraines Often Triggered By Change In the Weatherbut air pollution may too. See Impact of Air Pollution on Migraines and Headaches for more information.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Nancy

Report This Post