MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Why would Sudafed help a migraine?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Why would Sudafed help a migraine?
 Login/Join 
Grasshopper
posted
does anyone know the answer? i do not have sinus blockage or sinus disease according to ct scans but when i "thought" alot of my head pains were sinus related but in fact were migraines, taking sudafed helped.
does anyone know why sudafed can help a migraine? i tried googling but couldnt find much. thanks !
xo jenn

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that on our old forum, a long time ago, we'd have someone mention OTC sinus meds and migraine. I'm sorry that I don't remember the details, though. I *think* a few of them had actual sinus issues apart from their migraines.

Considering that decongestants are not migraine-specific and can't do anything to actually abort migraines, along with the fact that overuse of decongestants can lead to serious issues, I wouldn't every personally go there and try them specifically for migraine.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
MMC Lead Expert
Supreme Guru
Picture of Teri Robert
posted Hide Post
Jenn,

The trigeminal nerve becomes inflamed during a Migraine attack. One branch of it runs along the sinus cavities. For an illustration of this, see Pathways of Migraine. The tiniest bit of congestion, even at a level that we might not notice under "normal" circumstances, causes the sunuses to be a bit inflamed or "full," thus putting more pressure on the trigeminal nerve. As far as I know, that's why something such as Sudafed could help ease Migraine pain.

quote:
Originally posted by prunepie:
does anyone know the answer? i do not have sinus blockage or sinus disease according to ct scans but when i "thought" alot of my head pains were sinus related but in fact were migraines, taking sudafed helped.
does anyone know why sudafed can help a migraine? i tried googling but couldnt find much. thanks !
xo jenn

Teri Robert
Lead Health Guide, HealthCentral Migraine Community
terimmc@helpforheadaches.com

Author of Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches

Stay up-to-date on Migraine info with my free weekly newsleter. Subscribe here

visit me on or

Posts: 4220 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Grasshopper
posted Hide Post
dear dragon and terri,
thanks for replying.
dragon, i definately am not going to take sudafed anymore to treat migraine since i know its not sinus headaches..but i thought it was so interesting that sometimes it helps.
teri... that explanation is very interesting as well about the nerves being inflamed. i am going to have to look into that a little bit more!
thanks again!
xox jenn