MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Questions and Answers    hemicrania continua

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
hemicrania continua
 Login/Join 
Maven
Picture of Cyn
posted
I am beginning to wonder if I have hemicrania continua. I have had a migraine type headache for over three months on a daily basis. Nothing seems to be helping - not DHE 45, not triptans. I'm not sure

I fully understand hemicrania continua. Could someone enlighten me? No doctor has ever suggested it, but after spending a week a really good headache center and having twice daily infusions of DHE 45, magnesium and zofran and subsequently giving myself DHE shots every day for almost two weeks and then cut down to no more than three a week. I just can't figure out why I'm still in such pain.

Thanks,

Cyn

graceforthestom.blogspot.com

Posts: 554 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 11-19-2008Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
i Cyn,

I'm not sure what you are asking if you "fully understand hemicrania continua?" Do you mean you don't fully understand it?

(IF this is repeat information, please ignore it!!)
Hemcrania Continua (HC) is a primary headache disorder(not caused by another condition)and is totally responsive to indomethacin. Have you tried this medication for your head pain? There is no test to diagnose HC but triptans and typical Migraine medications do not work on it. Indomethacin does. For more information click HERE. for more information.

The other suggestion, again if I am repeating myself, forgive me, is a spinal tap. Intractable Migraine/headache pain not relieved by medication could be IIH, Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. Click HEREfor more information.

Report This Post
Maven
Picture of Cyn
posted Hide Post
Whoops - I did mean don't understand hemicrania continua. What I'm wondering is if you can have either of the things you've mentioned as well as "regular' migraine with and without aura.

I'm puzzling over why things have gotten so bad in the last nine months to a year. I've always had bad migraines, but never have I had one that lasted more than five to seven days.

Cyn

Guru
Picture of MaxJerz
posted Hide Post
Hi Cyn, it is certainly possible to have more than one headache disorder/Migraine type. For example, I have both Chronic Daily Headache and Chronic Migraines. Nancy and Teri both have IIH in addition to Migraines.

There are a number of headache disorders that can result in daily pain: New Daily Persistent Headache, Chronic Daily Headache, Medication Overuse Headache, Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, Hemicrania Continua, and others.

Take a look over the full list of Migraine and headache conditions here:
Types of Migraines and Headaches

You may want to print out some information there to bring to your doctor, if the symptoms sound familiar.

I also wanted to add that Migraine patterns change seemingly without cause for a lot of us. While it's nice to know "why", sometimes that's not possible, so we're left working with our doctors to try to treat our new pattern, whatever that might be.

-MJ

my blog: http://rhymeswithmigraine.blogspot.com

"What will you do, if it does not turn out how you expect?"
"I do not know. Nor shall I worry about it until it happens. I still have an action left to take; until I have exhausted it, I shall not despair." - Robin Hobb, Assassin's Quest

Posts: 2833 | Location: western WA | Registered: 06-01-2007Report This Post
Maven
Picture of Cyn
posted Hide Post
Never even heard of IIH before now.

I'm so glad that I found this forum. I've been so passive about my migraine treatment!! While I certainly am not skilled to diagnose myself, I can at least ask intelligent questions now!

Even though I'm feeling worse than I have in years, it's nice to be gaining a sense of empowerment!

Thanks to all of you!