MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Non-Migraine Headaches    Continuous localized headache for 2 months: what is it?!?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Continuous localized headache for 2 months: what is it?!?
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm a 27 year old female whose only previous medical condition has been asthma. I have had a continuous headache since right before Christmas 2011. It just randomly started one day and never went away. I have not really had many headaches before then. By continuous headache, I mean there has been no period where I have not had a headache since then. The headache is located in a very localized area in the right frontal area of my head. Most of the time it is just a dull ache, but when I cough, bend over, or lie down the pain becomes more of a stabbing sensation. I took OTC pain relievers at first, but they did nothing and so I stopped. Nothing really helps. The pain itself is not unmanageable, just irritating, but I am worried that this headache could signal a more serious problem. I have also been much more fatigued than usual, to the point where I take naps most afternoons. I do not have health insurance at this time, so I am trying to avoid going to the doctor if at all possible. However, I am getting more and more concerned the longer this headache lasts. It has been almost 2 months now. Do you have any ideas about what this could be?

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Exactly what Otter said, exactly how she put it. You need to get this diagnosed, by a doctor who sees you in person. You aren't going to know what you're up against until you do. The fact that you're worrying that it could be serious is a blazing red flag that it's past time to go get looked at. I understand there are limits with not having insurance, but to wait could be potentially very risky. Better to use resources now and go than to let things go and have them escalate to the point that treatment costs skyrocket. You and your well-being need to come first and foremost. There are programs and clinics that will help. Seek them out. We cannot, under any circumstances, diagnose.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello Kristen and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

Somehow I missed giving you your "official" greeting! My apologies, now let's see what we can do to help you out in addition to what wonderful droolie had to say.

Just to clarify, you've had this headache for two months or two years? You said in the beginning of your post you've had it since Christmas 2011, but at the end of it say it been going on for two months? You see, the more information we have will determine what direction to point you in.

So here's the scoop any time we have unexplained Migraine or headache pain, we need to have it checked out by a doctor - with or without insurance. Some clues you've given may point us in the direction of a condition called idiopathic intrancial hypertension (IIH), formerly called pseudo tumor cerebri. When you get a minute take a look at this article; Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension - The Basics Some of the symptoms you describe like increased pain when coughing, fatigue and headache pain that doesn't respond to medications could be IIH, but then again it could be Migraine. I happen to have this along with a few other members here, and the only way to accurately diagnose this is with a spinal tap. Many doctors believe you HAVE to have something called papilledema which is swelling of the optic nerve. This is NOT true. You don't always have to have papilledema to have IIH. IIH can lead to blindness which is permanent. Now, I'm not suggesting you have this, just providing information for you to discuss with your doctor if you feel it is appropriate.

An accurate diagnosis is so important it allows you to get the right treatment, education about your Migraines and/or headache (yes, you can have both) and get the proper care when you are away from home. You can read more about this in The Type of Migraine Does Matter. I wouldn't put it off much longer, okay? Please get this checked out and let me know how you make out.

Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...this original post is exactly one year old. I'm wondering why the forum magic shuffled it to the top, without any replies past my original one.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Grasshopper
Picture of Lovly S.
posted Hide Post
Dear DragonHost

I am also confused and see now that its an old thread...

Anyway, Cheers!

Posts: 25 | Location: USA | Registered: 06-08-2013Report This Post