MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Migraine Triggers    Truvia a trigger, but not artificial sweetners

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Truvia a trigger, but not artificial sweetners
 Login/Join 
Wizard
Picture of Katinthecorner
posted
I just wanted to throw this out there, since I wasn't able to find any posts on Truvia/Stevia, the new "natural" sweetner.

I have no problem with any artificial sweetners (aspartamene, nutrasweet, sucralose) but I got a BAD migraine from Truvia. It's the only possible trigger for the whopper I got hit with yesterday.

Just wanted to throw it out there. I'm sure most of us stay away from stuff because of sensitivities to artifical sweetners, but since I don't have a problem with them I didn't think I'd have a problem with a "natural" one.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Jersey City Nj | Registered: 01-15-2008Report This Post
Grand Wizard
Picture of DebMomm
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's not good to hear.

Deb

Posts: 2493 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: 01-13-2007Report This Post
Supreme Guru
Picture of Eileen Gray
posted Hide Post
DH brought me home samples of Truvia from work (they use all sorts of different sweetners for his job). I have been scared to even try it! I trigger off of Equel and certain things with Splenda. I have not worked up the courage to attempt Truvia yet.

Hope you are feeling better! Group Hug

Eileen Gray

"The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to over come, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater then our suffering." - Ben Okri
Please donate!!! Click below to donate to the AHDA - THANK YOU!!!
http://www.networkforgood.org/....aspx?badgeId=102755
my blog: http://fireinmybrain.blogspot.com

Posts: 3155 | Location: Hopatcong, NJ | Registered: 09-08-2007Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
I've not tried Truvia yet. I did try another stevia sweetener some time back, without any issues. Splenda I can tolerate fine, too.

Really, though, since not all sweeteners are created Equal (har! Roll Eyes), just having issues with one wouldn't necessarily make you prone to having issues with them all.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Maven
Picture of Cyn
posted Hide Post
I've had Truvia in small doses without a problem - but I keep it to a minimum out of FEAR! The other artificial sweetners are awful for me!

I've started buying the six ounce cokes and keeping them in the fridge at work for when I need a caffeine boost, but I've gotten down to only doing that two or three times a week. I use to drink about three diet cokes a day, as well as some iced tea with sweetener.

I'd like to find mints that have a natural sugar-free sweetener to use for my very dry mouth - not to mention the lovely breath that accompanies it!! Embarrassed

Cyn

graceforthestom.blogspot.com

Posts: 554 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 11-19-2008Report This Post
MMC Lead Expert
Supreme Guru
Picture of Teri Robert
posted Hide Post
You can find information at www.truvia.com.

Read carefully. I think they chose the name truvai because people have been using the herb stevai for years. However, the primary ingredient in truvia is Erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohols are misleading. When you look carefully, you find that, because of this ingredient, each serving of truvia has 3 carbs. Also, sugar alcohols in large quantities send lots of people running to the bathroom with diarrhea.

Teri Robert
Lead Health Guide, HealthCentral Migraine Community
terimmc@helpforheadaches.com

Author of Living Well with Migraine Disease and Headaches

Stay up-to-date on Migraine info with my free weekly newsleter. Subscribe here

visit me on or

Posts: 4220 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Grand Wizard
Picture of nutmegan
posted Hide Post
Teri that's an interesting piece of info about the sugar alcohol - I am one of those people the sugar alcohols send running to the toilet in no time flat! I have had pure stevia with no problem at all, it just has a slight licorice taste - they must have had to add the Erythritol to get it into granulated form.

So... there is an artificial sweetener in Truvia after all! (Maybe it should be called Lie-via?)

- Megan

Please visit my blog: Free my Brain from Migraine Pain

Posts: 2482 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 12-23-2007Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the laugh! Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by nutmegan:

So... there is an artificial sweetener in Truvia after all! (Maybe it should be called Lie-via?)

- Megan

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post