MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Migraine Triggers    Roasted nuts

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Roasted nuts
 Login/Join 
Apprentice
posted
I've been getting mixed messages about roasted nuts. Are they only bad because they're more likely to contain extra junk like MSG and sweeteners or does roasting make them inherently bad even if they're only coated with salt and vegetable oil?

I know nuts in general are always listed as potential migraine triggers, but I was particularly interested in the roasted variety.

Posts: 109 | Location: Manchester, England | Registered: 01-07-2010Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of LauraP
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I don't have any food triggers myself, and after looking at our workbook, while it says "nuts" it doesn't specify "roasted". I'm sure you've seen this already but let me give it to you just in case:

Managing Migraine Trigger Foods

Hopefully, someone who also has food triggers will come along and share their experiences soon.

Good Luck

Laura

Posts: 3853 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 05-17-2007Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
I did some searching, and while I find nuts in common to a lot of potential food triggers lists, nothing really says what it is in nuts that tends to trigger people. Perhaps they don't know what particular substance in nuts does it. I didn't find any differentiation between roasted and unroasted nuts, either. I suppose, though, if the roasting process causes a chemical change that leads to there being something in the roasted nuts you're sensitive too, then that could be why you only trigger off of roasted nuts as opposed to unroasted. But that's just a "sounds logical in a scientific sort o' way" droolie guess. Smiler

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The problem with nuts generally is believed to be their vaso-dilating tyramine content, though I don't believe they are an issue for me personally unless they are one of these stackable triggers which creep up on you. They definitely don't have any immediate effects at least.

I did a search for roasted nuts on a few supermarket web sites and had a look at a cross section of their ingredients.

In KP Dry Roasted Peanuts I found all this junk...

Peanuts , Dry Roasted Flavour [Salt, Flavour Enhancer: Monosodium Glutamate, Flavourings (Contains Celery Seed Powder) , Dried Yeast Extract, Vegetable Oil] , Modified Starch , Stabiliser: Acacia Gum .

...and in ASDA's Dry Roasted Peanuts...

Peanuts (94%) , Dry Roast Seasoning [Wheat Flour, Salt, Rusk [Wheat Flour, Salt], Yeast Extract [Salt, Palm Oil, Yeast Extract], Onion Powder , Maltodextrin, Yeast Powder, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Spices [Celery Seed, Cinnamon, Turmeric], Sunflower Oil , Natural Colour (Paprika Extract), Herbs [Oregano, Thyme]] , Sweetener (Sorbitol) , Stabiliser (Gum Arabic).

...so I think that explains where the bad reputation comes from. Plenty of them only contain salt and oil so possibly are no worse than raw nuts for migraineurs.

Posts: 109 | Location: Manchester, England | Registered: 01-07-2010Report This Post
Grasshopper
posted Hide Post
Hi--This is slightly off-topic, but I think peanuts are actually legumes rather than true tree nuts, so if one were testing themselves for trigger sensitivity to nuts, it would make sense to treat peanuts separately.

Yet another aside: What the heck is up with all the MSG added everywhere? It's such a common migraine and headache trigger that I can't believe it's so prevalent in all our foodstuffs! ('k that was my rant for the day)

Posts: 25 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 11-22-2009Report This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
Hi,

You're right - peanuts are a different kettle of fish (he says wondering if that makes any sense outside of England). The family includes...

Acacia; Acacia Gum; Alfalfa; Arabic; Black-eyed pea; Carob; Carob (St. John's Bread); Cassia; Chick Pea; Field Pea; Green Bean; Green Pea; Guar gum; Jack bean; Karaya Gum; Kidney bean; Lentil; Licorice; Lima bean; Locust Bean Gum; Mungo Bean; Navy Bean; Peanut; Peanut oil; Pinto Bean; Soybean; Soybean oil/flour/lecithin; Split Pea; String Bean; Talca Gum; Tamarind; Tonka bean; Tragancanth Gum; Urd Flour...

...so as the theory goes, if you have allergy/intolerance issues with one of these foods you're more likely to react to the others in the group. That doesn't hold true for any of my problem foods, but everyone's different of course.

I know; I think it's disgusting the way the food industry takes such liberties with consumers' health. It's fine(ish) for people who obsessively research the effects of these additives like us, but we're in the minority. Most people wouldn't look twice at the contents of their chemistry set, processed ready meals before wolfing them down.

It always amazes me too how much 'free from' food is also contaminated with artificial junk cloaked by pseudonyms for nasty chemicals we know to avoid.

Grasshopper
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's quite a list. I sure wouldn't have guessed that, for example, licorice and kidney beans were in the same family. Also I've never seen licorice nor kidney beans on any migraine food trigger list...but so many others in tat family are on tigger lists.

PlaydohYeti, it's hopeful for me that you say your problem foods don't apply to whole family of that food.

I'm still in the exclusion diet stage; I have so many environmental triggers that I don't even know if I have food triggers, just suspect. I'm just trying to raise my overall threshold in case I have food triggers, as another theory goes...

So is an exclusion diet supposed to exclude this whole family of foods, or just the specific ones on the triggers lists?

Is there some further criteria that make some of them, like peanuts, peas, lima beans, soybeans,etc, show up on trigger lists? Or is it just empirical, like enough people have reported it as a trigger?

Posts: 25 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 11-22-2009Report This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
No, I wouldn't try excluding the whole groups unless you find that a number of them turn out to be triggers for you personally. I think these family groupings are more useful for people with allergies.

As one theory goes, migraine is believed to be caused by the contraction and dilation (or spasming) of blood vessels in the brain. Many of these lists are constructed with this in mind - they include food which is considered to contain vasoactive compounds such as serotonin, tryptamine, dopamine, and norepinephrine. Avoid these items and Bob's your uncle, you're cured, next patient. The reality is often a different matter though. Even so, I'd still give it a go - you've got nothing to lose and your health and well-being to gain. I hope it does the trick for you. Smiler