MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Migraine Triggers    Can other things inflame the trigeminal nerve besides migraines?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Can other things inflame the trigeminal nerve besides migraines?
 Login/Join 
Fledgling
posted
Could inflamed nerves in someones neck cause the trigemenial nerve to get inflamed as well? Can other things in someones head or body inflamed or set off the trigeminal nerve besides migraines?

Posts: 10 | Location: Lewisville, Tx | Registered: 12-05-2008Report This Post
Guru
Picture of nutcracker
posted Hide Post
I was able to find an article on neuralgia within healthcentral.com that addresses causes of trigeminal neuralgia:

Neuralgia

The article addresses a variety of possible causes of this painful condition. I hope this helps.

<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
Hi,

This is really a question for your doctor, but when my neck muscles are tight, or tense so are my shoulders, which can trigger a Migraine.

We have an Ask the Clincian question you can seeHERE that will give you some information on Trigeminal Neuralgia and a support group website.

Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Trigeminal neuralgia is a biggie.

I was googling after I read this question yesterday, and read that one of the biggest reasons for the trigeminal nerve to be painful and inflamed is to have a swollen blood vessel pushing against the nerve. There are other reasons besides migraine to experience dilated blood vessels, and as long as the vessel is impinging on a nerve in the trigeminal nerve system, you can have pain and irritation that spreads through the whole thing.

One interesting tidbit I found was about ice cream headaches, and that the pain is thought to be caused as the cold ice cream comes in contact with all the branches of the trigeminal nerve network in the roof of the mouth area.

Sinus pain and pressure from an infection can be felt in the nerves of this network that pass through the sinus region, and then the pain can be referred back to the main branches. Ditto pain from a bad or infected tooth that's impinging on a nerve in the trigeminal nerve network. This referred pain accounts for us having tooth or jaw pain during migraine, tooth pain during sinus infections, and so on.

Certainly ask your doctor, but I think the answer is definitely a yes.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post