MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Migraine Triggers    Food triggers

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Food triggers
 Login/Join 
Picture of leeham987
posted
I've been keeping a food diary for 2 years now, and i'm just as confused as when i started.

It would seem food such as, chocolate, caffeine, cheese, food containing potassium sorbate are triggers.

however there has been times when i have eaten these and nothing had happened.

So do triggers always trigger a migraine or just some of the time?

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

Triggers are quirky things. It's certainly possible to find that certain things trigger you pretty much all the time, and other things just trigger you once in a while. You could find that something that never used to trigger you suddenly does. Or you can also find that something that triggered you often in the past no longer seems to bother you. Sometimes people find with a food trigger that it's possible to have a little bit of something without a problem. It's all pretty variable, which is why it can be tricky to sort out.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
Welcome to the discussion forum!

As droolie said, Migraine triggers can be tricky. Many people have certain triggers that must be avoided are they will get a Migraine right away. Other times we can go through certain periods when we don't seem bothered by what we thought were our triggers. Or, we can have what might be called stackable triggers. This is when lots of little triggers may add up to one big Migraine.

Let me see if I can explain it a bit better - triggers can add up or as Dr. Brandes says, be stackable. This means that some triggers may be stronger than others. Some triggers will be so strong they give us a Migraine by themselves. Other triggers may not be as strong and trigger an attack when we have a cold, or are stressed or have a combination of lesser strength triggers and a cold. This is what's called stackable triggers. We have some great information on this topic in this podcast you may want to listen to Migraine and Trigger Identification and management

I hope this helps,
Nancy

Report This Post