MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Migraine Triggers    Which beans are ok?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Which beans are ok?
 Login/Join 
Picture of Sally
posted
Hi there,

After dealing with migraines for a couple of years I've just started the elimination diet. I'm reading Heal Your Headache by David Buchholz and also cutting out gluten. Most of it's fine for me - I don't drink coffee anyway so it's not a problem, I'm baking up huge batches of corn bread, and really, I'd do anything to stop the pain! BUT, I'm a huge legume lover and so wondering which beans/legumes are ok? I can't seem to find a really clear, complete list anywhere! The diet I'm following says the following legumes are no-nos: Broad Italian, lima, fava, navy and lentils. But it also says pea-pods aren't ok. Does that mean split peas are also on the black list? Which legumes ARE ok? For example, what about cannellinni? Thanks in advance for any bean-y clarification!

Posts: 1 | Location: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: 08-09-2011Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

nattb pretty much sums it up for you - no one really knows until you try them. Having said that cannellini beans are pretty much in the same family of the other legumes you mentioned (not exactly) so it would be a personal choice to see if they trigger an attack for you.

I can eat cooked onions, but raw onions are a big no no. Can't skip meals but Teri doesn't have that problem at all. We are all so different, it is kind of a bother, isn't it?

Best thing to do is give them a try and see what happens or eliminate them altogether.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Report This Post
Apprentice
posted Hide Post
I've experienced aura symptoms after eating chickpeas, flageolet and borlotti beans, but I was always OK with cannellini, black eyed, black and butter beans. As others have said above that's probably not going to be of much use to you seeing as this is such a fuzzy game of trial and error.

One bit of advice I can give you is to watch out for added sulphites and other preservatives in canned beans. You don't need extra complications when you're trying to pin down your triggers. Good luck!

Posts: 109 | Location: Manchester, England | Registered: 01-07-2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sally, I also have the same book and am trying to follow the guidelines for foods to avoid to see how I react. From what I've been able to deduce from the book, the only beans that are off limits are Italian, navy, fava, and lentils. Don't quote me on that, though. I agree with others that it might be highly individual. For example, I live in Israel and lentils are a staple food here (plus I'm a vegan so I eat a lot of beans Big Grin). I have so far not found any problems with eating lentils.

Tam

posted Hide Post
I ahve the same question. Wonder what specific ingredient is in some beans and not others, though I sesne that his list was determined not through that porcess but rather by patients NAMING certain triggers as they occured.
I suspect that one really needs to see for oneself what is and isnt the triggers, but having said so, I also believe that some things, like MSG and its look alikes, and caffiene are for most migraine sufferers!

Apprentice
Picture of Theresadz
posted Hide Post
I was wondering this exact same thing the other day when I was contemplating doing the elimination diet. Glad to know that I'm not the only one confused as to what I should/shouldn't eat!

-------------------------------------------
Semper Gumby - always flexible.
-------------------------------------------

Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Because I can't resist doing so, I'll point out that jelly beans are probably safe. Big Grin

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post