MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Member Introductions    Newbie Here

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Newbie Here
 Login/Join 
posted
Hi There

I am a 38 year old male from the UK who has been suffering with migraines since childhood.

I have been reading a number of posts on the forum and seem to find myself in the same position where my migraines/headaches have pretty much started to drive me to despair. I am at the point where I feel like both my work and home life is suffering greatly and I am not being the husband and father I want to be.

I have tried lots of preventatives including Pizotifen, Propranalol, Topirimate (topamax) and Amitriptyline - none of which have had much/any effect.

I have private healthcare through work and have been seeing a Neurologist. He referred to my symptoms as chronic daily headache/migraines with borderline triptan overuse. He was the one that prescribed Amitriptyline and I had and MRI (all clear) and a greater occipital nerve block, sadly with no joy Frowner

My next option is botox, which I will give a go, unfortunately my health company will not pay for this and I don't want to wait for the NHS, so will pay out of my own pocket - fingers crossed!

Currently I am waking with headaches most days, which will either gradually go off or get much worse. I am trying not to take too many imigran (sumatriptan), but on some days I have no choice. My headaches are also accompanied with uncomfortable neck aches that seem to radiate up the back of my head and the pressure points on my face are pretty much permanently tender.

It's really depressing when you hardly have a headache free day and I really feel bad for my kids as I am not much fun when feeling like this.

Anyhow, thanks for reading - I will let you know how my botox goes.

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: 11-22-2012Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

Migraines can create a major disruption in one's life, I'm sorry to hear you are going though this right now. Try not to lose hope, even though it may not feel like it, there are many options available to treat Migraine.

Medication overuse is a problem for many of us because taking Migraine abortive meds such as the triptans or ergotamines or any kind of pain medication -- prescription or over-the-counter -- more than two or three days a week can make matters worse by causing medication overuse headache (MOH), aka rebound. See Medication Overuse Headache - When the Remedy Backfires for more information on this.

Have you ever kept a Migraine diary? Migraine is typically triggered by something, do you happen to know what any of yours are? Some can include hanges in weather, sleep issues, bright or flickering lights, perfumes or odors from chemicals such as cleaning products, and more. When working to identify triggers one of the best tools is a good Migraine diary. You can read more about this and download a free diary workbook in our article Your Migraine and Headache Diary. Some of us have food triggers; some of us don't. It's advisable to determine if your daughter does, and an elimination diet is the best way to do that. For more information and a workbook on this, see Managing Migraine - Migraine Trigger Foods.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, and many doctors don't take enough time to explain it, but when we start new medications, it can take up to 12 weeks before we see a reduction in our Migraine frequency and severity as our body adjusts to the drug. I know this seems like forever, but if we don't give each new medication a fair trial, we'll never know which ones would have worked.

Botox is approved in the US for chronic Migraine, here is that information Botox for Chronic Migraine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
Add a hello from me to your pile.

Your mention of neck pain with migraine got me thinking about my own. I've had issues with neck pain and migraine only in the last couple of years, since being rear-ended while waiting for a traffic light to change and suffering a whiplash injury. I've definitely noticed an increase in pain radiating down into my neck and shoulder during migraine attacks, but I've also noticed that if things shift a bit out of place in that area of my neck, even if only a tiny bit, it can trigger migraine. It can easily go either way, and either issue will exacerbate the other.

Building stability back up in my neck has helped quite a bit, but sometimes my neck will still go out slightly from something innoculous like rolling over in my sleep into an odd position, or not having the best pillow configuration on a given night.

Anyway, since you mention waking up with headache and neck pain, I kind of wonder if perhaps a different pillow or position might make a difference. Just something to explore.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Apprentice
Picture of Melanie Jane
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Just want to add my welcome to the pile. We are all traveling much the same road here, sharing information and trying to find those treatments that will work best for us, supporting each other when things get bumpy. Keep us posted on how things go for you with Botox.

You mention the prescription preventives you've tried, have you tried any vitamin or mineral supplements, such as Magnesium, CoQ10 or B2? Some of us have found they've helped reduce the number or severity of our attacks considerably. Of course, it's always good to check with your doctor before taking anything new.

Welcome again,
MJ

Posts: 227 | Location: LA County, California | Registered: 02-25-2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice - much appreciated Smiler

I have been in and seen another neurologist, who gave me a course of steroids to try and calm things down a little, as well as another GONB and anesthetic injection for my neck.

One of the options we discussed was DHE, which I understand to be a triptan based drip. Having just finished the steroids, I am keen to get back on a preventative and am thinking I will go back on Pizotifen. They have been the most effective preventative when I have taken them in the past (I know they are not that well thought of by others).

I will see how things go, but if they remain largely the same, then I will go down the DH route. Does anyone on here have any experience with this?

Dragon - I have tried a nice little collection of pillows, which are currently mostly gathering dust - they don't come cheap either as most of the new ones are the tempur memory foam types!

Melanie Jane - Yes, I have tried the mineral options along with Feverfew, with no improvement noticed.

Thanks again for reading Smiler

Posts: 2 | Location: UK | Registered: 11-22-2012Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
posted Hide Post
I've never had DHE. I do know, though, that it isn't a triptan-based med, but rather an ergotamine med. DHE is short for dihydroergotamine. Here in the States it's an injectible most often. I thought we had a fact sheet on it, but I'm not seeming to find it in my links. Here's a link to a profile on our old site, still written by Teri...DHE profile.

Well, I gave it a shot with the pillow idea. I happen to have ten pillows on my bed. I rotate through whatever's the most comfortable and supportive at any given moment. It's not perfect, but it helps me some. Sorry it's not working out for you, and getting pricey to boot.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

Apprentice
Picture of Melanie Jane
posted Hide Post
Droolie - and I thought I was ridiculous having five on mine! I feel better now and know what to tell my husband next time he complains! Wink

Posts: 227 | Location: LA County, California | Registered: 02-25-2009Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
posted Hide Post
Yeah, well, I can get away with it, because the only person I can crowd out with all those pillows is me. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Jane:
Droolie - and I thought I was ridiculous having five on mine! I feel better now and know what to tell my husband next time he complains! Wink

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

Apprentice
Picture of Melanie Jane
posted Hide Post
David - Sorry to hear the mineral and herbal supplements didn't bring any improvement for you. On top of all the preventives you've tried, too, that's very frustrating. I've found magnesium, CoQ10 and B6 helpful to me in reducing my migraine severity, and I have just tried a trial of Petadolex, but after two months I found my pain levels were getting slightly worse rather than better, so I called a halt to that one. I also had no luck with Feverfew, either.

Good luck with going back on Pizotifen and/or trying DHE. I hope things improve for you soon. Thumbs Up