MyMigraineConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Migraine

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Migraine Community  Hop To Forum Categories  MyMigraineConnection  Hop To Forums  Member Introductions    New Member

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
 Login/Join 
Picture of JustineO
posted
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who ansered my question on the general board. I finally figured out how to get on the forum and get more involved.

My name is Justine and I'm 37 years old. I started getting migraines about a year and a half ago after the birth of my second child. They came on when I weaned him (from breastfeeding) and I would have them a couple of times a week and after a series of stressful life events last summer they quickly became chronic and daily. I didn't know I was having migraines and unfortunately it took about 8 different healthcare professionals, a brain MRI, endless worry of tumors, cancer, MS, etc. to get to my diagnosis. That's not to mention the thouasands of dollars wasted on procedures and medications for my "tension headaches" and "TMJ headaches".

My aunt started getting migraines in her late 30's and at 37 I guess that is where I am at. I think there is a perimenopausal/hormonal component for sure and light is a huge trigger for me. I usually have a daily headache, mild, for at least part of the day. I'm on Cymbalta and vitamins and herbs and had botox done a month ago. This combo keeps the bad more severe migraines at bay but it is the daily pain that I am trying to get under control.

I'm able to cope for the most part and keep up with my normal activities but some days I just get down and feel alone. I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

Thanks,
Justine

Posts: 1 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: 09-03-2012Report This Post
Forum Moderator
Supreme Guru
Picture of dragondroolHOST
posted Hide Post
-:¦:-•:*'""*:•.-:¦:-•*Hello!*•-:¦:-•:*'''''*:•-:¦:-•*Welcome to the family!*•-:¦:- •:*'""*:•.-:¦:-

Hello and welcome to our forum family! Our goal is to provide everyone with the information and support that we all need to manage our Migraines and/or headaches. To that end, we consider this a “safe harbor,” where nobody tries to sell us anything, and we all use “family-friendly” language so parents are comfortable letting their children read the forum with them.

Please take a few minutes to review our policies and guidelines along with the other information in the START HERE folder. For information about Migraines, a good article to begin with is Learning About Migraines - Where to Start.

I didn't know I was having migraines at first, either, when they went all rampant on me. I was actually having severe tension headache/migraine combos at the time following surgery and the resultant muscle spasms, and started to feel sound even moreso than I was hearing it. We get a lot of chirpy birds in the mornings around here, and they were driving me to a whimpering puddle o' goo state. I was remarking to a friend about it, and she mentioned that she had similar sensitivities during migraines. Lots of things made sense then, and I got a diagnosis shortly thereafter.

It sounds like you are getting a handle on your triggers. It also sounds like you're making progress with your preventative regimen, so that's good. Pretty much all of us have been through daily pain stretches, so our hearts go out to you. We know how much it can drag you down. I myself deal with fibro along with the chronic migraine, so if one's not flaring, chances are the other is. Still, though, it's all much better than a dozen years ago. I've got some momentum now, and actually get some rather good days, overall. On days that I feel especially kicked around, I always come here, where everyone gets it. We row this boat together. We're glad you found us. You don't have to feel alone here.

Dragondrool
Forum Moderator

~~8=:>>>>

Posts: 6478 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01-11-2007Report This Post
Master
Picture of JennyHOST
posted Hide Post
Justine,

I just wanted to add my welcome, too! Glad to "meet" you! I look forward to your future posts!

Of all the things you and your aunt could have in common--why did it have to be migraines??? My sisters, mother, nieces and I all have migraine difficulties, too. There's a genetic component to migraine disease that folks talk about often around here.

Anyway, I hope to see you back here soon! Please let us know if we can help you in any way!

JennyC
Forum Moderator

Posts: 354 | Location: PA | Registered: 04-02-2011Report This Post
Novice
Picture of OnnaBugeisha
posted Hide Post
Welcome! I too suffer from chronic migraines that have slowly turned into daily headaches with severe migraines thrown in about 7-10 days a month just for variety. Mine originally started out with episodic migraines. Then they slowly became chronic. Then those morphed into what I have today. Don't ya just love the head games our head plays!?! Though I am NOT happy in any way shape or form with my current neuro, I do have to give him his due that he has lowered the frequency of my migraines and daily headaches with my daily medication. Keep trying; it usually takes a while with meds and doses to find what works with you!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Defeat may test you; it need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another way. For every obstacle there is a solution. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. The greatest mistake is giving up.

Posts: 99 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 12-12-2011Report This Post
<Nancy Harris Bonk>
posted
Hi Justine,

Welcome to the discussion forum. We are so glad you are here!

Unfortunately your story regarding the length of time it takes to get a diagnosis is not uncommon. Many of us see quite a few doctors for a number of years before we get an accurate diagnosis. One of the reasons is there is no diagnostic test for Migraine disease, which stinks!

It's great that you have been able to identify some of your Migraine triggers. Just a word on stress being a trigger, if I may. You see, there's still some controversy about this, and I hate to see anyone accept that stress is a trigger without at least trying to see if they encounter triggers during stressful times that they either don't encounter at other times or they're only triggers when the body is stressed. The International Headache Society has removed stress from their list of Migraine triggers and put it on their list of exacerbating factors -- things that make us more susceptible to our triggers. Teri thought stress was a trigger for her until she kept a very detailed diary for a few months. More information in http://www.healthcentral.com/m...2001/stress-trigger/. I hope you'll thoroughly investigate this as I think we do ourselves a real disservice by thinking stress is a trigger for us and not looking closely for other triggers during stressful times.

When working to identify triggers one of the best tools is a good Migraine diary. You can read more about this and download a free diary workbook in our article IYour Migraine and Headache Diary.

By chance do you take anything to relieve your pain on a daily basis? If we take Migraine abortive meds such as triptans or any kind of pain med more than two days a week, a big part of the problem may well be medication overuse headache (MOH), aka rebound. Continue reading Medication Overuse Headache - When the Remedy Backfires for more information.

I hope this helps, and please keep us posted on how you are feeling.

Report This Post