ChronicPainConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Chronic Pain

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pain pump
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I am brand new to this forum, other than reading other peoples post/responses. I am 49 years old and I have a prett severe case of degenerative disc disease. I have had bad back and neck problems for most of my adult life and I have now had a total of seven surgeries (3 on my low back and 4 cervical fusions). I am at the point where surgery is no longer an option for me and I am in constant severe pain, even though I have a spinal cord stimulator for my lower back and I am on a Fentanyl patch and oral Dilaudid (8 mg., 4X a day.). After many years of consideration and pretty much running out of options, I am now seriously considering a pain (Morphine?) pump. I have really bad pain in both shoulders, arms and hands and my main question is whether or not a pain pump would help with my arm, shoulder and hand pain. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much in advance and best of luck to everyone else.

Greg Wilson

Posts: 5 | Location: Eugene, Oregon (home of the Ducks!) | Registered: 01-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of greg8846
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg,

Im glad you find our forum and the nice thing is if you have a bad day sna just want to
vent or talk were her for you always. See were
here for one reason only and that dirty word
CHRONIC PAIN. Seems like a simple enough word
when you look at the word as a whole. But then
when you wake up in the morning with this over
coming sense of wantig to cut off or out what
is hurting the most. There are two thing that
go hand and hand with Chronic Pain.

1. Chronic pain itself
2. Loss of all the friends that you thought you use to have.

I think depending on the support system that you
have at home can play a huge impact on the way that you handle Chronic Pain and relationships. Now your asking about a Morphine pump on some folks here on the board have really decent pain relief with the
pump. I have a couple of questions for you?
1. Have you ever been on oral (P0) Morphine before, if so for how long.

2. Did the Morphine control your pain.

See there is another couple of drugs that you may want to consider like the Fentaynl pump systmem this drug is calculated in Microgrmas versus Milligrams. The Fent is a much better drug when you start wanting to go the pain pump route, it takes less of this medication to control your pain.

I will give you a short history about myself so you don't think that im a Google Medic or Google Nurse. I have been involved in the Emergency Medicine
field. I was a Paramedic/Fire Fighter/Deputy Sheriff.
I mean i had enough College credited hours to get a degree, but they were in some any seemed like hundred of boxes that had to be gone through. So any way I went back to College and recieved a Masters in Medicine. I ended up working Hospital ED all over the place. So i was given title two in fact. One of the badges said. Liaiosion Officer for the Third Year Residence. The other title was Training Proctor. All this meant was i trained about 38 doctors every three months roatation. The other title
was so i could teach other courses that they would be
using in the ED. They were taught to entubate, put in Central lines, Jugular lines, and chest tubes. Last but not least ECG interpertation and Cardiac Pharmacology.

I would walk the floors and we would get paged to just about everything. See we were a teaching hospital so this was each Resident got his chance to learn and practice.

Is sorry got off the beaten path again on this site we are one big family and were always ready
to help you find the right answer to. I know a lot of our families leave us out in the could and blab on about how bad they had or have it. Greg I know and i understand your pain im sure you think in the back of your mind that God is punishing you thats not true at all.Just keep the faith and i will also pray as will most of the folks here on the Forum wil. See i was force to retire for helath reasons. I have been in the Hospital now more than 600 plus days. I had Pulmonary Embolism,Pneumonia, both side.
A Empymia in my right lung. I was Septic from the Staff Auriues a doctorhad put in a IV into my neck that was not clean. This Staff juts about killed me in end up with other problems from this infection on a daily basis. I had my right leg amputated on Feb 27 2009 after five failed surgeries.I sit in a wheel
chair about 8 hours a day. Yes i know how bad it can be to have severe pain and people don;t act like they care, but here thet do. If there is anything I can do please lewt me know.

Greg L,.Armstrong

Posts: 314 | Location: Greenville  | Registered: 11-03-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of greg8846
posted Hide Post
Hey Greg,

If i can't give up neither can you, God Bless and hang in there, If you have any type of questions please feel
free to ask. Taks care

Greg L,.Armstrong

Posts: 314 | Location: Greenville  | Registered: 11-03-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Greg8846,

Thank you so much for your reply. It sounds like you have an awful lot of knowledge regarding chronic pain, unfortunately, most of which is from first hand experience. I'm really sorry to hear about all that you have been through as well. You are correct that a lot of people just really have no idea what it's like to deal with serious chronic pain every day for years and years.

Thankfully, I do have a really strong support system of family and friends. Without my Wife of 28 years, I don't know where I would be. She is very understanding and supportive and I know it really sucks for her as well. As for your questions to me, I have been on both Morphine and Fentanyl. I am currently on a Fentanyl patch, which I change every three days, plus oral Dilaudid, which I understand is a synthetic form of Morphine. I used to be on regular Morphine and I did get some relief from it (of course, it's never enough), so hopefully it would work with a pain pump. I'll have to ask my Dr. what he thinks about Fentanyl vs. Morphine in the pump. One hesitation that I have regarding the pump is that my Dr. told me that some men experience problems with impotence from it. Do you (or anyone else) have any input to offer in regards to that?

Thanks again for the reply and good luck to you.

Posts: 5 | Location: Eugene, Oregon (home of the Ducks!) | Registered: 01-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Greg 8846,Welcome to the group.I've had 2 neck surgeries and 6 back surgeries.I have a pain pump with fentanyl in it.The pain meds in the pump do help,shoulder arm and hand pain also.
But I had to get my pump turned down 50 percent,a few months ago due to side effects.EI wish the very best in getting pain relief.Feel free to ask questions,we are all here for you,Debm

Posts: 56 | Registered: 12-25-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry this answer was for wgreg41

posted Hide Post
Dear Greg 8846,lol,i got it right,I think,lol.How have you been feeling?How is your Pain?I was deb,but now Debbiem,lol.In my thoughts,debbiem

posted Hide Post
Dear Trans,How have you Been?Is your daughter taking good care of you.How is your surgery doing?You;re in My Thoughts and Prayers, Hugs,debbiem

posted Hide Post
Hey Debbiem

Thamks a whole bunch, I need those thoughts and prayers and hugs right now. Yes, my daughter is doing good at helping me. She is so proud of herself and I am also. She is pretty good at patient care. Suprised me.

Having my surgery on 02/10. Really have a lot on my mind from that going on now. But I'll get thru it.

You're in my thoughts and prayers also my good friend. You are always so inspiring here. Hugs and extra hugs for you also.
Trans.

Posts: 637 | Registered: 06-18-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg Wilson, I would consider the pump. I did get good feedback from others on the forum. I will have a trial run of the pump in a few weeks I will keep you posted tak to your dr. Thanks Robby

Posts: 12 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10-30-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Debbiem Hi I wanted to find out what side effects were you having with the pump and are you feeling better now, Thanks Robbi
quote:
Originally posted by Debbiem:
Dear Greg 8846,Welcome to the group.I've had 2 neck surgeries and 6 back surgeries.I have a pain pump with fentanyl in it.The pain meds in the pump do help,shoulder arm and hand pain also.
But I had to get my pump turned down 50 percent,a few months ago due to side effects.EI wish the very best in getting pain relief.Feel free to ask questions,we are all here for you,Debm

Posts: 12 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10-30-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, have you already gone through the trial and are now waiting to have the implant surgery? I just had the trial and the catheter pulled out of my back, so it wasn't working at all after the first day!

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Robbi,

I went through the trial last week and I spent one night in the hospital. The catheter pulled out of my back after about the first day, so I had to go in yesterday and have them do an injection into my intrathecal space, to give me one more idea of how it's going to work. I guess it's very rare for the catheter to comeout like that. Just my luck! Good luck with your procedure. I hope everything goes smoothly and it works well for you.

posted Hide Post
Hello wgreg41

Welcome to our pain board. You're part of a whole new family system here. Greg8846 knows his stuff too, he's very good at giving straight information here to help so many people.

Many people are on the "willing to share with the interthecal pain pump" site, maybe someone from that site can answer your question about the possable impotency problem with the pump. There are several males on that site that have the pump, I'm sure they would be ok answering that question. I've never heard of that possability so I would like to find out that answer myself. I know any time we are using medications like we are we have a possability of that happening either male or female. But you are talking controlling upper body pain more than lower, so the placement is important for what part of the body it helps with. I know for myself having the medication directly going to the spinal nerves works better for me having better pain control with less medication and a whole lot less lethargy.

The best of luck with you getting your questions answered. You and your wife have a beautiful day.
Trans.

Posts: 637 | Registered: 06-18-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if you all have found, for the most part, that after having the pain pump implanted, did you go completely off of any oral/transdermal pain medications that you were on before, or did they just cut back the dosage or ? I would appreciate hearing back from anyone who wishes to reply to this question.

Thanks very much