ChronicPainConnection.com

See all our sites for your special health needs at www.HealthCentral.com

Chronic Pain

Make a connection, ask a question, share a concern, give advice or just chat. Our message boards connect you with a community of people who understand where you’re coming from and what you’re going through.

Chronic Pain Community  Hop To Forum Categories  Chronic Pain Connections  Hop To Forums  Working with Chronic Pain    Unfortunately Not being Able to Work
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unfortunately Not being Able to Work
 Login/Join

Picture of Chrissy
posted
I wish I could work with my problems, but unfortunately, I'm not able to right now. I used to work retail and tried working through the pain. Some days though were too much and I either had to call in or try to make the drive, get to work, after a few hours find myself so sick that I needed my meds, which I refuse to drive on, and in such pain that I would have to leave. Of course, in retail this is such a no no. My major flare up this time started in Aug. 2006 and I tried my best to work. Finally, in Oct. 2006 work asked me to take a medical leave of absence (without pay of course) because of my missed time. I have since been unable to go back to work because of pain and medications. I'm in the process of starting talks with a lawyer about filing for disablility, and I do know what a fight this is going to be, but I live on hope alone. With my depression, I feel so guilty about my medical and pharmacy bills that I need to contribute somehow, but I am not quite there yet. My lawyer seems interested, but I know how hard it's going to be to get it, because I know the government doesn't consider chronic pain, or chronic migraines as a disability. It's such a shame that there are so many of us in this position, the position that we end up going without our meds just to feed our families. There is just something so so very wrong about that. There has to be another way. God willing we will soon have enough advocates to stand up for us and help get us the support we deserve.

Chrissy

Sharepost: Chrissy, living with it!

Posts: 36 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Chrissy,

I actually just posted a thread in the general discussion board today about filing for disability. Earlier today I submitted the preliminary forms online. I have also not been able to work since October, and my bills are just piling up. My family is unwilling to help, but luckily I have an amazing boyfriend and wonderful friends and I truly believe that they are the only reason that I am not homeless right now. They are helping to pay my rent and my basic utilities because I am unable to continue working at this point. The government does NOT consider chronic pain a disability (although they should) so I am filing on the grounds that I can no longer leave the house due to social anxiety disorder and agoraphobia (fear of the marketplace). I've had to take a "leave of absence" from college, and I'm not sure when I will be returning. I should be in medical school by now, but I don't even know if that is going to happen at all at this point.

I hope everything works out for you, and I would love another person to commiserate with during my battle for disability benefits, who knows what I'm going through.

Hope you are well!
-Stefany

Posts: 46 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 02-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stefany!! We have SO much in common!!!!!
I was supposed to go to medical school as well, but had to take a leave of absence from college because of my pain issues.
I still consider it from time to time, and honestly am not sure if I will ever go.. but we are still young so we have a lot of time to decide.
Hang in there!!
Smiler
stacy

Chronic Pain Connection Expert
SharePosts: http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic-pain/c/109/

Posts: 107 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 02-15-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chrissy
posted Hide Post
Thank you Stefany for you kind words!! I really hope this works out for you. I know how hard it is to have so many bills and not being able to pay your own way. In my opinion, this plays a big role in my depression. The guilt that I carry of costing my family so much without being able to contribute. I, thankfully, have a very understanding family, but it hurts my pride so. I know I've asked before, but have you seen a psychologist for your anxiety. I was told by my lawyer that if you are having mental issues along with your chronic pain you are more likely in what he's seen to get disability. I will be making an appointment soon to see one, to get an official diagnosis of my depression and anxiety, because I know how hard it can be just to get disability on chronic pain alone. I wish you the best of luck in your fight for it. God knows, I'm sure, you deserve it! Just don't give up...I think they deny you so many times just so that you will give up in the end. In case I didnt say, I'm very sorry for your pain that you are going through. But, you have people here for you, myself included. And as more of the tmjfriends sign up, as we have joined in with healthcentral, you will find more and more friends to support you.
Best wishes

Chrissy

Sharepost: Chrissy, living with it!

Posts: 36 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 02-16-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrissy,

Yes I've been to see a psychologist and a psychiatrist. I've missed many appointments though due to not being able to leave the house some days. But I do have an official diagnosis from those doctors, so hopefully that will help in getting the monetary help that I need. I hope things go well for you when you see your doctor!

-Stefany

Posts: 46 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 02-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JennsterBee
posted Hide Post
Hi Stefany, Chrissy, and Stacy
I just want to encourage you girls to keep on fighting for what you're entitled to... I have been on disability for several years now, although the system is not the same in Canada. For the first while, I was on temporary disabiltity, but as my doctors renewed my certificates and eventually gave me more time off, I was put on long-term (you need to have been given min. 1 year), which basically allows me to get more money and have all my meds paid. I was refused at first, but now I don't even need to have the certificates renewed. I am not however, on disability for chronic pain but for mental illness, although it is one of the main causes of the latter... They are now paying for me to go to school, and although I am surviving a full-time schedule, will hopefully allow me to only work part-time, if pain and energy levels don't permit me to do otherwise, and still receive some benefits.

So, I encourage you to keep pushing, keep having your doctors write, to keep appealing, etc. I even had to have my mom write a letter stating that she is not willing to support me financially (because apparently, until 25(?) she is still legally responsible for me)!

Good luck to you all!!!
Jenn! Wink

"Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain.” -Jim Morrison

Posts: 15 | Location: Canada | Registered: 02-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't really sure where to post this, so I figured I would post it here because someone is sure to see it. If any of you guys use AOL instant messenger, my screen name on there is GogoBodMod. I'm usually signed on during the afternoon and during the evening, so if you guys want to talk on there feel free to message me!

-Stefany

Picture of KarenB
posted Hide Post
Wow - you ladies sure have it rough.

Again, I'm new to this - see I'm New post - but pain - wow - its terrible. I have a hard time concentrating on anything else but the pain. Its so sharp and comes in waves - very uncomfortable. The TMJ I have doesn't allow me to sleep on my left side and the mouth guard in all night isn't comfortable at all. Pain is such a terrible thing, never mind worrying about bills and life.

I've been able to cope so far but I work from home - so my hours are my own. This week, I haven't done a thing - thank god I don't have a boss or an employer.

I wish you ladies well and keep pushing like Pinote said. There are answers for you and money, you might just have to fight a little to get them. Anxiety and chronic pain IS a disability, that needs to be recognized.

Karen

Posts: 15 | Registered: 03-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am currently trying to figure out if I'm going to return to work full time after my maternity leave... and a huge factor in my decision is my pain. It's awful that I have to think of my pain and weigh it so heavily in this decision... but I do. I have found the stress level comes into play a great deal in the pain levels... anyone else find this? Do you find when you are off work that your pain is more manageable?

Posts: 99 | Registered: 03-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely think that stress/depression/anxiety is a huge factor in my ability to manage my pain. When I was working, if I woke up in pain it would make it that much harder to get up and get ready for work, which usually ended up with me being late, and do you know how hard that is to explain to your boss? I was late for work because I had so much pain it took me half an hour just to sit up in bed...yes I realize I'm only 23...I know.

Hope you're doing well after the birth of your new little girl Smiler

-Stefany

posted Hide Post
Hi-

I have definitely reached the point where working is not an option for me anymore. I quit my full-time job for a part-time job, but even with that, I'm still really struggling because of the pain.

I have so much guilt too, because I can't contribute the same kind of money I did before, luckily my hustband is very wonderful and supportive.

I think it's time that I look into filing for disability. I have 3 disk herniations in my back, and had surgery on one in my neck. I think I would be eligible, but those government forms onthe internet are very confusing. How do I start this process? Do I need to get an attorney or can I do it on my own?

Thanks so much for understanding and your advice.

Kari

Posts: 7 | Registered: 05-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BettyBoopToo
posted Hide Post
Kari
I see that this is kind of a late reply for your post, but I thought If you've not already started your disability process I'd try and give you some answers.
I filed my clain online at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/
There are all the instructions and forms right from your home, your other option is going in to your local SS office and they will had you the forms to fill out, but since I have some trouble with writing, then I opted for typing in my answers.
It's been a very tough road to continue on with my disability, Now I'm so irritated with them, that I'll not give up. I started on my own, but if I were to start all over, I'd start with an attorney, as I made a few mistakes on my own that if I'd of had an attorney, I may have already been approved.
Although I still have a great deal of anxiety and stress over this whole process, I do feel better since I've retained an attorney.
Most disability attorneys get pad out of your first pay check, which will be calculated on the amount of time it has taken you to go through the entire process before getting your apporval, for example, if you apply this year and it takes until next year, you'll get 12 months of payments that begin on the day that you first applied for SSD.
If you've already applied, as I know this is late, I'd be interested in how it's going for you.

Hope all is well
Betty

Do not be dismayed by toil or suffering, nor by the meager fruit of your labors. Remember that God rewards not according to results, but effort.

Blessed Zefirino Agostini

Posts: 1402 | Location: Home in Washington State | Registered: 11-07-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been disabled for a long time. I have three children, two step sons and one daughter. My husband and children don't understand chronic pain because they've always had wonderful health, which is great don't get me wrong. I was an over achiever in high school. In college, the same, although I missed a lot for health reasons but my teachers worked with me. I have a bachelor's degree and would have had a masters but health prevented it. I applied for disability with a lawyer. He said they didn't give it for my stomach, back, or migraine problems so I would have to get it for the anxiety, depression associated with it. So I got disability for somatoform pain disorder, panic disorder with agoraphobia and depression. Now if people ask what I'm disabled with I feel like I'm lying either way. I wish sometimes I could just say cancer or something simple, not that I wish I had cancer. But if I say what I got disability for it's not really true and they think I'm crazy; if I say what I'm disabled with it's so long they don't like it and don't understand. They say "i have migraines but i stil work" or "i have horrible stomach problems and still work" or "you don't look disabled" looking at my legs as if I'm handicapped. And they always pry. I became disabled in 1999. I just tried to work a job from a friend of mine at a bakery. I enjoyed the job. I was always able to do anything well. I enjoyed feeling in control of something, something in my life, again. I did a good job but slowly my health got worse and worse and worse until every night I was screaming in pain and barely making it through work and on a lot of medication with side effects. I missed one day for being in the emergency room. Then I got the flu with a high fever and my boss said if I missed another day I"d get fired so I quit. My husband and family had missed me being the homemaker. Our finances and house was trashed cause they're all lazy. But it's been three weeks and I still miss my job so badly. That's believe it or not the short story. Thanks for letting me unload. -aimes

Posts: 12 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09-10-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BettyBoopToo
posted Hide Post
Hello Aimes

It's nice to see you around here.

I know and completely understand about your desire to work. It's not only for the pay check, it's also having a purpose in life and wanting to be out with other people as a member of society.

I'm unable to work and cannot hold down any consistent schedule at all. I've always been the person that everyone could rely on and this unreliability has just turned my world upside down. I hate being like this. And I know that you do too.

I've tried to participate in a few voluntary positions that I only do what I can and when I'm able. That has really helped. I also volunteered with one of the womans groups at church to make rosaries here at home for them to give to people and that has given me a positive out look on things too.
I have an eldely friend that is nearly blind that I do her bills, appointments & set up her meds for her once a week and then just visit with her. Having her in my life has really helped with givig me purpose and caring for someone else helps to make you feel like a valuable member of society, even when there is not really any pay involved. It really feels good to help someone else. My friend also have a very painful arthritis condition Severe RA and so she really understands alot of my pain & FM issues too. Many of her symptoms are close or similiar to my own and we both make quite a slow moving pair together. lol

I'm sorry about your work situation and understand how painful it can be. When I began to go down hill with my health, I was desperate to continue working in some capasity and tried all kinds of jobs, shorter hours, longer hours less days, etc. I just cannot do it and especially during the winter months. In the cold weather my pain is much worse and I'm pretty much home bound all winter too.

It's nice to meet you and hope you are having a nice Sunday.
Take Care and join us in off topic at the Daily Grind if your interested. We are there every day.
Hugs
Betty

Posts: 1402 | Location: Home in Washington State | Registered: 11-07-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel bad for those of you who are having problems getting on disability. I have chronic low back pain, left leg pain, and nerve damage. I've had five low back surgeries and two nerve releases in my left leg. Now I have scar tissue wrapped around the nerve roots in my back. I applied for disability almost tree years ago without a lawyer. Within four months I got my first check and back pay. I'm not sure why I qualified so fast. I don't know if it was the pain or maybe the nerve damage. Don't give up. Keep fighting.My pain started in 1999 and I worked until 2005 when I just couldn't stand it anymore. My late husband was disabled with low back pain after two surgeries and he was turned down twice for disability before he hired a lawyer and got it on the third try. I thank God all the time because if I didn't have disabilty I would be homeless. The weird part about it was I had to wait two years from the time I qualified before I could get Medicare. Everybody just keep trying. Nobody deserves to hurt like we do. Plus, we all deserve disabilty if we are unable to work.

Posts: 108 | Registered: 08-20-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post